A129 Plus Duo Front Cam keeps freezing and breaking up

Eagleman

Rear cam works perfectly but the front one doesn't playback smoothly and constantly freezes and the picture sometimes breaks up.

I recently tried updating the firmware from the most recent update but the firmware version still shows V1.5 Build: 20210515.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Update: playback seems to work ok when I play it on the cam but not on my macbook. So, obviously not a cam problem. I'm still a bit mystified as to why the rear cam plays back ok on my mac but the front doesn't? Could it be something to do with the resolution of my ancient, but still working perfectly, 2010 Macbook?

Last edited:

Capture Your Action

Front is 2K, so your MAC player isn't playing nice with it. Try a different player.

V1.5 is the latest available on the Viofo firmware page.

Eagleman

Front is 2K, so your MAC player isn't playing nice with it. Try a different player.

V1.5 is the latest available on the Viofo firmware page.
Yes I thought this would be the case. I was using VLC player on my MAC but I'll try something different. Thanks.

Update: my MAC just isn't up to it. Doesn't seem to matter which player I use. Never mind :(

Last edited:

Capture Your Action

Yes I thought this would be the case. I was using VLC player on my MAC but I'll try something different. Thanks.

Update: my MAC just isn't up to it. Doesn't seem to matter which player I use. Never mind :(
You can try using h.265 instead of h.264 (h.264 is default). With the camera running, press and hold the MIC button to change to h.265. If I recall correctly, this helped MAC users with 4K files. To change back, just press and hold the MIC button again. An icon will appear on the LCD screen indicating the change (usually an icon of a memory card, but Viofo has changed it in the newest A119V3 firmware).

Eagleman

Tried that, no Joy. Thanks anyway. If I changed the resolution to 720 I guess that would work...or not? Not that I really want to do that?

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
Hello, we suggest you use VLC or MPC video player to playback the video on a computer to test.

Eagleman

It looks like the MPC player is no longer available. Their website has a message stating "MPC-HC is not under development since 2017. Please switch to something else." I normally use VLC but that doesn't play smoothly with the front cam files. Rear cam files no problem. I'm not actually sure what the resolution is on the rear cam. I assumed it is 720 which I guess is the same as my MAC (just checked the display details and it says 1280 x 800). Coincidentally, when using YouTube I can only watch videos up to 720 - normally it seems to default to 360 or 480 or something like that. If I change it to 1080 the videos keep stopping and starting. In any case, I'm thinking that this isn't necessarily a massive issue, at least not one that I am willing to pay £1000s for a new MAC. I have a Windows PC as well which is not quite as old but also still not up to the task.