Any update on when the new HK3 hardwire kit is due??

Tel

Hi,
I am holding back on getting a A129 Duo + 3 wire hard wire kit as I understand that a newer version of the 3 wire hardware kit is due for release.
I would be very happy to do an early detailed test and review of the operation of new HK3 hardwire kit when it is ready.
Regards Terry

Last edited:

Tel

Hi Alshamal,

A few people on the Dashcamtalk forum have reported a high-pitched noise when using the hard wire kit. This noise is either on the recording or can be heard physically. I have put a link to the forum thread below. In response to a ticket raised with Viofo by forum member 'Persmash' in connection with this they are reported to have replied to him that a new version is coming out late April.

'Persmash's post on April 14:
"I was having exact same issue with my A129 Duo. But the problem is about 3-wire kit. When I plug it via lighter socket, there is no sound. I've contacted VIOFO and send my footage videos them to check. They said at the end of April, they will release new 3-wire kit. I'll get one and try with that."

My feeling as an electronics engineer is that given the small number of people having this issue means that it is likely to be a faulty batch of a component rather than a fundamental design issue.

So if yours is working OK then your OK. Even if not Viofo are one of the best companies around when it comes to supporting its users so I would not worry - it looks like a great camera.

Even so they have, according to 'Persmash', said they are bringing a new version out - so as I am able to wait a bit until I get a A129 Duo (and hardwire kit) I thought I would ask. Once I have one I will be testing it out on the bench before I install it and will aim to report back to dashcamtalk what I find.

PS: There is another small issue with the hard-wire kit found by those who have set up an external switch for parking mode (as I want to do). I am sure I can resolve this with 3 or 4 components but the new version may not have the problem.

Tel

nav2004

@Tel Oh good to know, I was about to order this kit and A129 Duo. What is this external parking mode switch by the way

Tel

Hi @nav2004

> What is this external parking mode switch by the way
The idea is that some people who use parking mode would like a quick way of disabling / enabling it depending where the car is parked. For example when the car is parked somewhere safe like at home in the garage it does not need to be on. So they have tried to implement a physical switch arrangement in conjunction with the current hardware kit (HK3), this saves diving into the camera's menu or switching on WiFi and firing up the app to switch parking mode off or on.

A good starting point to find out more is to follow forum member 'kioneo's posts from Nov 2018 onwards over on Dashcamtalk.

Update: Following my post above on Thursday, various further issues have been reported with the current hard-wire kit and just today Viofo have also told Dascamtalk forum member 'RavenManiac' that new kit is in development. However it is difficult to know if the new kit design is to address the problems some people have reported or for some other reason.

Last edited:

Randy_Buss

Hi,
I am holding back on getting a A129 Duo + 3 wire hard wire kit as I understand that a newer version of the 3 wire hardware kit is due for release.
I would be very happy to do an early detailed test and review of the operation of new HK3 hardwire kit when it is ready.
Regards Terry
Given that the original post was almost three years ago, has there been any progress with a new hardwire kit to fix the issues?

I've been using the A129 Pro Duo without any issues at all while using the hardwire kit ever since the A129 Pro was originally released. However, the ribbon cable connector inside the camera for the GPS/Power unit appears to have gotten brittle and broke on me while I was putting a fresh supply of thermal past on the heatsink recently, so I ordered a new A129 Pro to replace it. After getting the new one and putting it in my vehicle, I discovered this odd high pitch sound mentioned above would develope after about 15 minutes of operation (kind of sounds like a field of crickets at night) which is both audible to the ear as well as on the recordings. Very annoying to say the least.

I didn't have this problem with my original A129 Pro, so I tried troubleshooting it with the help of Viofo and it was ultimately returned after Viofo decided it was an internal issue with the camera. After ordered and receiving another new A129 Pro to replace the one I sent back, the same problem exists, Ugh! What are the odds that I would get another defective camera?

In order to determine if the noise is caused by the hardwire kit, I unplugged the hardwire kit from the GPS unit and plugged the cigarette lighter USB cord into the GPS unit instead. To my surprise, the noise doesn't occur at all with the cigarette lighter USB power supply, and it has crystal clear audio at all times.

I wonder if the problem with the A129 Pro hardwire kit is possibly caused by changed/modified components inside the Viofo front camera, as I have noticed there are some internal changes between the one I just received and my original A129 Pro.

I'm going to do another experiment on Monday; I'm going to plug the hardwire kit back into the GPS unit and also plug the cigarette lighter USB cord directly into the camera in combination with each other. My theory is, if the hardwire kit is causing electrical noise in the current, for whatever reason, the cigarette lighter power source may eliminate that noise in the current and stabilize the supply while also continuing to allow parking mode to operate when the vehicle (cigarette lighter USB) is turned off.

As an electrical engineer, what are your thoughts on this and/or on any other corrective measures to correct this issue?
What component in the hardwire kit circuitry is causing this noise??
Why doesn't this noise occur in my original A129 Pro with the same hardwire kit, but it does occur in all of the new A129 Pro camera's I've received this year???

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Randy