Audio recording - Hiss & Crackles

Newton

I use my Git2 to record motorcycle rides.
What I get from audio recording is more hissing and crackling than the actual engine, exhaust or surrounding sounds.
Tried all audio recording levels, with same results.
Suspected it was some electronic interference and switched with a friend who has a GoPro.
GitUp behavior was the same on his bike, while the GoPro on mine recorded a crystal clear sound.
Anyone with a good hint?
(Tried to upload a video here but don't know how so here's a sample on YouTube:
)

Serban Iulian

I have exactly the same problem when i record my rides too.
Any fix for this issue?

gitup

Product Manager
Staff member
Website
www.gitup.com
Do you use it with waterproof case?
On motocycle, we also suggest use the GoPro skeleton case and with external MIC to have better sound.

Serban Iulian

Yes, with waterproof case. But even with case, the camera should not record , let say, "flawless sound"?

Newton

Do you use it with waterproof case?
On motocycle, we also suggest use the GoPro skeleton case and with external MIC to have better sound.
That is not a fix. It is an amendment!! Besides, I don't feel like riding at 100mph+ worrying about the wire, mic and whatever else can be catapulted from the bike/camera.

Newton

Yes, with waterproof case. But even with case, the camera should not record , let say, "flawless sound"?
I kind of realized that the mic is too sensitive to "treble" pitch and the camera itself sort of shake inside the case. Mitigated the issue by placing a tiny self-adhesive piece of fleece inside the waterproof case to cover to mic port and make the cam more steady inside the case.

Serban Iulian

I kind of realized that the mic is too sensitive to "treble" pitch and the camera itself sort of shake inside the case. Mitigated the issue by placing a tiny self-adhesive piece of fleece inside the waterproof case to cover to mic port and make the cam more steady inside the case.
Done that and it doesn't work...

Serban Iulian

Sure. This posted down below it's not the worst unfortunately. I don't try to capture without waterproof case on my rides.

Newton

Sure. This posted down below it's not the worst unfortunately. I don't try to capture without waterproof case on my rides.
Couldn't watch it. Looks like you've protected it. Change permission to "unlisted" or "public"
By the way, I never take my cam for a ride without the case. We are on the same page here ;)

Newton

Wow! That's awful.
I am nowhere near an expert, here's my unqualified opinion:
I noticed you have the cam attached to your helmet. Maybe the vortex caused by the visor or the shell itself is hitting right on the camera.
Just for the sake of it (and if your traffic laws allows) take a short spin with the visor up.
Good luck

Serban Iulian

I ride with cam atached to gas tank, handlebar etc.
I think I'll change the camera,maybe git 3 or I will go for gopro. . .