Bad Files On A129 Duo. Has Anyone Else Had This Problem?

Hawkeye222

I have had an Viofo a129 duo for not quite a year. I recently discovered a couple of glitches.

1. Between some clips (not all of them) I will lose about 5 seconds of video. Not an enormous problem...but with my luck...I could have an incident right at the point where it glitches....and would be without vital footage.

2. The next glitch is by far the biggest...and I discovered this more recently. The problem has been happening more frequently over the last 3 or 4 months. At least once per day I will hear a beep from the camera while driving. I would not get an error message, and the screen would not 'wake up'. I would simply get a beep (I assume to alert me to a fault of some kind). It started to bother me enough that I reminded myself to make a mental note of the time & location the next time it happened. That's exactly what I did...and I used that info to go back and look at the video. I have my system set to splice in 5 minute segments. What I found was that whatever segment that the video was in during the beep would be a corrupted file. I would not be able to play it. I also notice that the file would be smaller. It seems to happen at the same or close to the same spot within the 5 minute chunk (like a minute or minute and a half in). I end up losing a minute or two or footage...a couple of times a day. If something happens during that glitch...I would be out of luck. Has anyone else experienced this with the Viofo A129 Duo? Could it be the memory card? It's a high endurance class 10 card....good brand. Would formatting or clearing the sd card help? I have only done that once in about a year.

Last edited:

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
Hello,

It sounds like a card issue. We'd recommend formatting the card per month. Please try to format the card first. Here is the formatting instruction. If that doesn't help, please try again card. The Samsung PRO Endurance card would be recommended.

Can you tell me what brand, size, model, and class of SD card are you using, please?

Hawkeye222

I formatted the SD card. Still had the beeps afterward. Usually at least 1 or 2 per day.
I just took the card out to check it...and re-installed. Maybe that will help.

I have found this issue reported on other forums.

Micro SD card information:
The micro SD card that I'm using is Sandisk "high endurance" u3 xc1 v30 (128gb).

Before giving up in the camera...I will try a different brand of SD card...with better specs (something that can handle 4k...even though I'm not using a 4k device). That seems to have been a solution that worked for at least one or two people on other forums (dashcam talk I believe).

I also wonder if I should reduce the segment size from 5 min to 3. Or if I should change the bitrate (I think it is set to high right now). Each driving file is just over 600mb. And my parking files (1 sec time lapse) are about 250mb each...in 5 min segments. I wonder if the device or the SD card struggles with the larger file segments.

I'm already looking at saving my coins for something else...but it won't be any time soon. I still need at least several more months with this camera. Have had it for only about a year. I was hoping to get a little more out of it. This seems manageable...but as I mentioned... with my bad luck, the one time that I need it to work...I am concerned that this glitch will pop up and I will lose important footage.

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
Yes, before purchasing a new card, we would recommend you set the loop recording to 3 mins and set the medium bitrate for normal driving recording. If you use other parking modes for parking, please try low bitrate.

BigBillSD

Cards are so cheap now, I would just buy a new one. If the problem persists then you may have an issue with the dashcam, or possibly its power source.