Battery Voltage too low for parking mode?

MasterOrange

I just installed A129 Duo last night and today I am finding that my parking mode is not recording very much. Today was my first test drive with the camera. I went to the car to set it all up, clean up all the test files, and then I turned the car off and walked away. I got one recording right after, for about 1:18. (files are names PR and PF at the end). Once I moved to my destination and turned the car off there, I got two files again for about 2:50 in length.

What my concern is that when I tapped the fuses, the multimeter only showed about 11.54 V, which I find weird (but every fuse I tapped showed the same voltage when live. I was able to still differentiate between always on and an ACC fuse and during engine on the camera works perfectly fine. But stops recording immediately after the engine goes off.

Here are some specs:
FW v1.97T
Motion detection is OFF
Parking mode is in Low bit rate
This is a Nissan Kicks 2019
the converter is set to the lowest cut-off voltage.

The ground I picked is not what some YT videos called "factory ground" where other cables terminate. It' just a nut on a bare-metal piece (to which some trim is attached and the "open gas" and "open hood" switches are mounted"), close to the fuse box. Could that be the problem?
Am I doing the ground wrong? Am I possibly measuring wrong? What things I can try to troubleshoot further. Is it possible that ANY car would have so low default voltage from the battery? What I did not try is to measure directly on the battery terminals.

Also, side note - I am unable to find a download link from the official site for the 2.0 FW, but I cut a ticket for that so hopefully, I'll hear from them soon.

Last edited:

Capture Your Action

There is a 90 second delay between when the HK3 kit senses voltage below the low voltage cutoff setting and when it shuts off the camera. Sounds like your battery is weak and dropping below the low voltage setting as soon as the car is shut off.

MasterOrange

well, that is not good. It's a year old battery facepalm. I'll look into that and see what I can do about it. Thanks for the idea! I'll come back with findings

MasterOrange

ok, so I just spent a week on road trips and long drives, and still, after 2 weeks, I have a few P files from the parking mode.

I find that I have about maybe 10 of them up until about August 2, then not a single one. And I have driven the car multiple times a day about every other day. So I don't know if the batter should be the thing anymore. Although I have not measured it exactly.

Any other ideas to look into?

Capture Your Action

ok, so I just spent a week on road trips and long drives, and still, after 2 weeks, I have a few P files from the parking mode.

I find that I have about maybe 10 of them up until about August 2, then not a single one. And I have driven the car multiple times a day about every other day. So I don't know if the batter should be the thing anymore. Although I have not measured it exactly.

Any other ideas to look into?
I would have the battery load tested. Most auto parts stores will do this for free.

Have you re-tested the voltage at the fuse taps since your trip? If it's still reading about 11.54V, there is an issue somewhere.

MasterOrange

ok, I'll see about that. I did measure it today after a Friday trip to Canmore and back and two days sitting in the garage it's at 12.0V ...

Tho while I went to measure it, I noticed one of the taps did not seem to sit that well so I wonder if that had anything to do with it. I'll see in a couple of days again and see what I find.

MasterOrange

So I kept measuring and I am still around 11.7-11.9V and it seems that I am getting 1 set of parking mode videos almost at 90% of the time and in very rare cases I even get 2 sets one after the other. So I guess we are good now and I will keep an eye on the new battery and make sure to drive more frequently to charge it up. Thanks team!