Camera doesnt always start recording

zippy1148

I have an Audi A3 and am using a 2 wire hardwire kit because I'm not interested in parking mode.
I have just reviewed a weeks dashcam footage and found 2 full days (2 long journeys) and 2 part journeys are missing. All others are good. It is strange that 2 full days consisting of 2 seperate journeys are missing. On the days part of the journey is missing, it is the start period.
Nothing has been saved to another motion activated folder. I am using a brand new Sandisk High Endurance 64GB card.
I have tried another family members A119V3 and a different memory card, but they have the same issue. I have tried recording start delay but no improvement. Tried connecting to the mount and camera, and all connections and the mount are tight and good.
Does that mean its a wiring or Audi start up issue (voltage drop on cranking?).

Kremmen

Also, does your car have stop/start ?

There are many fuses that temporarily lose power when the starter cranks. If you're wired to one of those then you almost certainly will have problems. You need to find an ignition source fuse that doesn't lost power during cranking.

Normally a tedious job with a multimeter.

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
Also, does your car have stop/start ?

There are many fuses that temporarily lose power when the starter cranks. If you're wired to one of those then you almost certainly will have problems. You need to find an ignition source fuse that doesn't lost power during cranking.

Normally a tedious job with a multimeter.
@Kremmen Glad to see you here! Welcome!;)

Jocko

I have a similar problem that has only shown itself since updating to firmware V2.5. I have not had the camera long and have done very few miles so the firmware update may be a red herring. I use the supplied car charger and my car does not have stop-start. If the camera doesn't start I found that stopping, switching the ignition off and back on again starts the camera.

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
I have a similar problem that has only shown itself since updating to firmware V2.5. I have not had the camera long and have done very few miles so the firmware update may be a red herring. I use the supplied car charger and my car does not have stop-start. If the camera doesn't start I found that stopping, switching the ignition off and back on again starts the camera.
We recommend you set a boot delay in the settings.

If it doesn't work, please run a long drive some time. As the longer you drive the car battery will be charged more sufficient. Then there be a more reliable power supply to the dashcam when the ignition is on.

Jocko

Thank you. After the first incidence of not starting, I added a 5-second boot delay as advised by Kremmen on DashCamTalk. I also brought it in and ran it overnight from a USB mains supply (about 10 hours). Four days later it wouldn't start for my first trip of the day.
I have now disabled the screensaver so I can see, from the driving position, if it is working (LED is hidden by my rearview mirror).
To give some background, shortly after I upgraded the Firmware from the supplied V2.4 to VIOFO's V2.5 I had used the car for a couple of days. On the second day, I brought the camera in to review the footage and found nothing of the 5 trips I made that day had been recorded. Of the 4 trips I made the previous day it had started to record the first, but 3 minutes into the 10-minute loop it stopped, then recorded no more.

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
To troubleshoot that it may be a firmware issue, could you try to downgrade it to firmware V2.4? We also recommend defaulting the settings in the menu and pressing the reset button for 5 secs to reset the dashcam after changing the firmware.

Attachments

Jocko

I will do. I did that when I was trying to solve the issue initially, but with the V2.5 firmware installed.
That link is for the 129P firmware. Is it the same as for the A119 V3?

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
I‘m so sorry for mistaking the firmware. I've changed it to the firmware for the A119 V3.