Cold Weather Question - At What Point Do You Bring Your Cameras Inside?

Hawkeye222

At what temperature should you bring your cameras indoors, particularly overnight? The temperature is hitting single digits for the first time tonight for this winter season.

It is definitely below the listed operating temp. I'm using an A129 duo. Luckily both cameras detach from their mounts pretty easily.

Do you just leave your cameras out there when the temperature drops way below freezing?

I do have parking mode running, so the cameras are energized...which gives them a little bit of heat...but I don't think it makes that much of a difference.

Kayeday

Don't know the rules about posting reviews; though I found reviews of dashcams the site also generally explains what cold weather can do to a cam: contraction/expansion, condensation, cams not starting until they warm up, & a few weak solutions - warm interior, use proper sd card not a cheapy, and if really concerned bring indoors. https://www.eyewitnessdashcams.com/best-cold-weather-dash-cam/

Surprised how hard it is to find info on this subject, most all is about hot weather. Some posters say to be careful how fast you warm up a cam because of contraction and expansion https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/cold-weather-dual-cam.39951/

I am in a very cold climate as well and am interested in the replies you might get.

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
Hello,
Normally the camera's Operating Temperature range from -10℃ to 65℃ and Storage Temperature range from-20℃ to 70℃.

Molly Wallace

Cameras. Most cameras are cold proof to a certain point (usually 32°F), with the batteries often being the culprit of improper functioning; however, there are certain cameras featuring freeze-proof certifications, deeming them more apt to handle extremely cold climates.