Dashcam is Saying "Please Format MicroSD Card"

det97

Hello, whenever my A119 dashcam turns on it says "Please Format the MicroSD Card." I have tried doing this from both the menu of the dashcam and from my computer but still get the same message. I then wanted to see if a firmware update would help but when I plug the dashcam into my computer I get the "Mass storage" message but my computer doesn't actually see the dashcam so I'm not really sure were to go from here. Anyhelp would be appreciated, thanks.

Capture Your Action

Plugging into the computer will always force the camera into Mass Storage Mode.

What firmware version are you on? V4.0 is the latest.

Could possibly be just a card failure. Try another card and see. Just be sure to format the new card inside the camera first.

det97

I have tried with 2 different cards but am getting the same results. The firmware I am on is V3.3. One card is brand new so that should for sure be fine but both cards can be read by my computer fine when I plug them in using a card reader. But when I plug the dashcam into my computer and it goes into mass storage my computer can't see it so I can't upgrade.

Capture Your Action

Copy the firmware to the card using a card reader. Copy the file to the root directory, not in any folders. Put card back into camera and power it with a USB wall charger that supplies at least 1A. Use the supplied Viofo short data USB cable. Camera will update auto, then auto delete the firmware file. Should take less than one minute. Once done, go into the settings and manually default the cameras settings. Lastly, press and hold the reset button on the side of the camera for at least 5 seconds.
Possible your card slot on the camera is faulty.

det97

I think you may be right about the card slot being faulty unfortunatley. I put the FWBA119 file on the card using a card reader but when I put it back into my dashcam and power it up nothing happens it still gives me the format card notice. I then tried just formating the card with the update file on it and when I plugged it back into my computer noticed that the file was still there so it seems like the camera isn't formatting the card.

rein

Hey det97, did you get this fixed? I am having the exact same issue as you. Would love an update.

Cheers,
R

det97

Hey det97, did you get this fixed? I am having the exact same issue as you. Would love an update.

Cheers,
R
No the issue never got resolved unfortunately. I was contacting Viofo support at the same time and tried their suggestions but it didn't work. I think it could be the dashcams SD card reader itself. I'm thinking about trying to cleaning it to see if that works. I've been using the camera for about 2.5 years I thought it would last longer than that though.

rein

Have you tried another card?
Hey Capture Your Action,

No, I haven't gone out and gotten one yet, but my computer can read/write on the card fine. I may go get a new card, or maybe just get a new dashcam if it is the same case with det97.

rein

No the issue never got resolved unfortunately. I was contacting Viofo support at the same time and tried their suggestions but it didn't work. I think it could be the dashcams SD card reader itself. I'm thinking about trying to cleaning it to see if that works. I've been using the camera for about 2.5 years I thought it would last longer than that though.
That is unfortunate. I think mine ran through roughly the same time period as you - and I share the same sentiments.

Capture Your Action

Sometimes a card doesn’t read in one dash camera, but is fine in another. I currently have a Samsung EVO Plus that won’t read in my personal A129, but is fine in other A129 dash cameras. Other cards are fine in my personal A129. Not sure why this happens, but it’s worth trying another card to be sure.

rein

T
Sometimes a card doesn’t read in one dash camera, but is fine in another. I currently have a Samsung EVO Plus that won’t read in my personal A129, but is fine in other A129 dash cameras. Other cards are fine in my personal A129. Not sure why this happens, but it’s worth trying another card to be sure.
I see. I may as well try one as a card is vastly cheaper than a new cam. Thank you for your input.

Cheers,
R

verceroth

I’ve had the exact issue for a few months. 3yr old 119v2 with transcend HE card. I was just about to buy a new card, then saw this post.

I’ll check the firmware and update if needed

rein

Just an update. Somehow my dashcam read my original SD card with the firmware update and has been updated to V4.0. But the problem still persists. It also corrupted my SD card.

I have also tried another SD card laying aroud, and the problem was the same for that too.

:(

Guyberlin

Hi

Have the same issue, the camera was off for around a year, now when i am trying to work with it it doesnt use the sdcard properly - i get amessage to format my microsd card, doing that is really quick but unhelpful, tried severL sd card samsung and sandisk - all with same result, seems like the sdcard reader in the camera is defected. When i get the card out i do see a message to insert a card, and the camera beeps (so it does recogniE something).
My fw is a119_180122_v3.6
Any way to proceed or should i throw it away ?