G3 GPS format

gps user

Hello GitUp.

I am looking to use G3 with Ublox GPS receiver. Please advise on what format and what precision the GPS data is encoded with in the MP4 file. If you could please send me a short MP4 and also a still (JPG with EXIF) with GPS active that would be great. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

gps user

Hello GitUp.

I am looking to use G3 with Ublox GPS receiver. Please advise on what format and what precision (number of decimal places) the GPS data is encoded with in the MP4 file and the JPG file. If you could please send me a short MP4 and also a still (JPG with EXIF) with GPS active that would be great. Alternatively, could you please supply me with G3 (main camera and GPS, extra camera not required) for review/testing?

Thanks,
gps user

gps user

Thanks Alistair for reply. I became interested in the G3 a while back after finding this post re the EXIF: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=37855377&postcount=6831
I did not want to commit to purchase of G3 until I knew what accuracy was possible, hence my request for sample .jpg and .mp4 files. Reading up elsewhere a bit more about EXIF, I would assume that the G3 firmware will do what I want for stills. Just before the G3 was released I had purchased a Soocoo S100 Pro. Disappointed to find out that no EXIF possible with that camera, and the GPS on video had very low resolution in longitude (also, output from the Soocoo GPS module was encoded oddly). Understandably I did not want to repeat the experience with a G3.

Ross

Alistair Parsons

My Git 3 only arrived a couple of days ago and that was just intial looks, but i expect it will get fixed...Will try some more experiments, possibly from my home I didnt get enbough GPS signal......Will post if situation changes

Alistair Parsons

OK, my bad, exif data is encoded, couldnt get GPS lock in my garden
theres a green gps symbol at the top to indicate gps lock.

GPS exif is to 6 decimal places if thats what you mean
Ill send you still image and video sample

gps user

Thanks very much Alistair for sending files. Nice pic and footage too, made me think of TV show from your part of the world (I'm in Australia). The .mp4 with embedded lat and long etc played fine in DashcamViewer, with smooth track displayed on map. First bit of video track was showing off-road, would guess that you had just powered camera/GPS up, or moved receiver in/on car, dense foliage alongside road etc. Looking at the file with a hex editor showed encoding as I had hoped. The .jpg EXIF is good enough for my needs. Thanks again - and GitUp might thank you too!

Ross

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
The GPS data and EXIF info is embbed in the .mp4 file and jpg.
Normally to use ublox, it is no necessary to know the GPS format, but need to know how the camera receive the data from the GPS module.
The GPS data format should be GPRMC.