Git2 1080p 60fps is jittery and blurry

gadgetinspector

I just got my git2 and I am surprised at how poor the video quality is when walking. Cam is set at 1080p resolution at 60fps and it blurs when turning and is jittery while moving in general. Is there a fix for this or a setting to turn off/on to correct.? I got this camera for an upcoming trip overseas, but this will be unusable if I can't correct it. I am on the most current firmware v1.6.

gadgetinspector

Heading back to the grocery store to do another test with gyro on. Just reformatted the micro SD card from inside the camera. If this doesn't work, I'll try firmware v1.5. If that doesn't work I'll have to send it back to Amazon. I don't want to because the video quality is awesome when the camera is stationary. But that makes absolutely no sense for an "action camera." I'll be back.

Beyond the blue

Going off the constant height that you seem to be shooting at, am I correct in thinking you have this on some sort of chest harness or fixed to your body in someway? If you have it is the worst way to hold it. As you say you need to switch on GS and hold the camera in hand, you will always get the up/down movement but you will learn how to walk with it over time to eliminate the side to side (swaying) movement. Also testing indoors is not ideal as the light is quite low even though it might look bright to the eye. To get anywhere near completely stable video you will need a motorised gimbal of some sort. Don't give up yet, you will be amazed at how good you can get over time.

Last edited by a moderator:

gadgetinspector

Going off the constant height that you seem to be shooting at, am I correct in thinking you have this on some sort of chest harness or fixed to your body in someway? If you have it is the worst way to hold it. As you say you need to switch on GS and hold the camera in hand, you will always get the up/down movement but you will learn how to walk with it over time to eliminate the side to side (swaying) movement. Also testing indoors is not ideal as the light is quite low even though it might look bright to the eye. To get anywhere near completely stable video you will need a motorised gimbal of some sort. Don't give up yet, you will be amazed at how good you can get over time.
Ok thanks. I was starting to think it was the firmware. That's a bummer about the mount because that's how I planned to wear it on my trip. It's not so much the swaying, but it's the jitter and blur that just irritates me. I was getting ready to return this one and get another from Amazon, but sounds like it is what it is. I heard about the low-light problem but geez if that wasn't bright enough I don't I'll ever be able to use it indoors. Thanks again for responding. I'm going to try one more time today after downgrading to v1.5, gyro on, in the chest mount and also out of it.

Beyond the blue

That explains it! The GS will help but if you have it in a chest harness and you have a wobbly walk you will have a wobbly video. When you hand hold it use both hands and let your arms move in a fluid motion. The up and down motion is very difficult to control as the camera will move up and down as you take a stride. The better you get at keeping it steady the better the picture will be. I watched your video on youtube in HD and the quality looks fine. It's down to practice, practice, and more practice, or a gimbal.

gadgetinspector

That explains it! The GS will help but if you have it in a chest harness and you have a wobbly walk you will have a wobbly video. When you hand hold it use both hands and let your arms move in a fluid motion. The up and down motion is very difficult to control as the camera will move up and down as you take a stride. The better you get at keeping it steady the better the picture will be. I watched your video on youtube in HD and the quality looks fine. It's down to practice, practice, and more practice, or a gimbal.
Yeah, looks like that's what it comes down to with this one. Problem is, some people actually do action with their action cams: jumping out of planes, rock climbing, snow boarding, mountain biking,etc. If you have to be still or hold the camera a certain when just walking, that kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? I have a $40 Lightdow that has some drawbacks, but I never got that weird jitter and blur. I really want to like this camera...I really do, so I'm going to test it again today. If the verdict is I'll have to hold it during my trip (doing tons of walking) then I'll just take the Lightdow.

gadgetinspector

Well, here is my first thorough look at the git2. Now that I know what to expect and what not to, I like it. I think I will keep it.

Beyond the blue

If it helps at all these are the video settings I find works best for me. I do a bit of tweaking with these at times depending on what I'm trying to achieve, but basically I use these. I am running Firmware 1.6

Video Resolution 1080p 60fps
Record audio level High
White balance Auto
EV 0.0
Shutter speed Auto
ISO 200
Color Normal
Contrast High
Gyro stab On (unless on a tripod)
WDR On
Sharpness Normal
Metering Average
FOV Narrow
Video bitrate Medium
Motion Det Off
G.sensor Off

gadgetinspector

If it helps at all these are the video settings I find works best for me. I do a bit of tweaking with these at times depending on what I'm trying to achieve, but basically I use these. I am running Firmware 1.6

Video Resolution 1080p 60fps
Record audio level High
White balance Auto
EV 0.0
Shutter speed Auto
ISO 200
Color Normal
Contrast High
Gyro stab On (unless on a tripod)
WDR On
Sharpness Normal
Metering Average
FOV Narrow
Video bitrate Medium
Motion Det Off
G.sensor Off
Thanks, I'll try that out. I'm going to be trying out a bunch of different configurations to see what looks best. The video I did had everything in the default setting except for: gyro on, but rate high, record level high. Next, I'm curious to see how 1080p 30fps does indoors and in low light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herb

Thanks, I'll try that out. I'm going to be trying out a bunch of different configurations to see what looks best. The video I did had everything in the default setting except for: gyro on, but rate high, record level high. Next, I'm curious to see how 1080p 30fps does indoors and in low light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you find settings that works good?

I found that at 60fps and 1/120 shutter speed the video is jittery.