Gitup Git2 Loses Time When Battery Changed

instant_record

I love my Gitup2 but there is one really annoying problem. When I change the main lithium battery, the clock resets to 2015.

I have heard that you can replace the battery on the motherboard. In the attached image, have I got the right component in red?

View attachment 243

Does anyone know where to order a replacement battery for the motherboard? What type of battery is it???

Alternatively, I would like to suggest a firmware fix for Gitup v1.8 firmware:

1) If camera shuts down because of low battery, write a file to SD card named "low_battery"
2) If user turns on camera again, notice the "low_battery" file and write the current date/time to the SD card. Then shut down the camera again because of low battery.
3) Next time the camera turns on (i.e. the user has replaced the main battery and turned it on again), if the clock is set to year 2015 AND there is a "low_battery" file, set the clock again to the time that was written to the SD card in step 2), plus 30 seconds.
4) Voila! This algorithm means if you take 30s to replace the main camera battery, no time is lost. Also, don't forget to delete "low_battery" file and the date/time file.

Dragon.Zhong

Administrator
Sir.We really appreciate your kind suggestion for our camera. We would let our technicians to check that for you. and about the repair problem of losing time. you could scan via this link. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/git-2-battery-drain.19066/ what is more,We will release latest APP version of Gitup .It would come with time Synchronize function, you could Synchronize camera's time directly with your phone (Just connect with wifi).

instant_record

Hi, I removed the screw next to the RTC battery but it still loses the date.

When the main battery is attached, I read 3.0v across the RTC battery. When I remove the main battery, I read 0.8v across the RTC battery.

I think the RTC battery is dead from the short circuit. What type of battery is this please?

Dragon.Zhong

Administrator
Farad capacitor SM3R3333-T01 0.033F 3.3V round patch diameter 3.8MM high and less than 1.1MM

instant_record

I disconnected the supercap from the PCB and charged it using 2.5v for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, I stopped charging and measured the voltage. It read 1.2v so I assume the supercap is broken.

gbal

Sir.We really appreciate your kind suggestion for our camera. We would let our technicians to check that for you. and about the repair problem of losing time. you could scan via this link. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/git-2-battery-drain.19066/ what is more,We will release latest APP version of Gitup .It would come with time Synchronize function, you could Synchronize camera's time directly with your phone (Just connect with wifi).
This seems to be a perfect solution if the APP and Direct WiFi work well but this is not always thru!
In my case (I own a Git 2 Cam) I saw that the time I have to change my battery before lost the Date/Time is ranging from 5" to 10". If you act to do the operation in 5 seconds you are ok.
Another perfect system is to have a Power Bank with you. Connect it to the Cam, get out the empty battery, insert a full charge battery and disconnect the power bank. You have as many minutes you like to do this operation. :);)

P.S. I also point out that the link you give above doesn't work anymore. :mad:

Regarding the date/time lost configurations when main battery is replaced, I've read the comments on the forum, but none of the possible solutions have worked for me. Turns out muy camera comes without the black bolt that is suppose to be next to the RTC capacitor, so that shouldn't be causing the capacitor to drain. But also, less than a year ago, if I leave main battery inside the camera, a few days later that one is also 100% drained.

Obvious solutions are Ok, I mean, connect a power bank while replacing the battery (so date/time configuration is not lost), or take the main battery out the camera when not in use (so it would not be drain); but those "solutions" are not well seen, at least not from an engineering point of view.

I guess both problem are manufacturing issues, I mean, conductive parts are making contact with either of the batteries poles, making them to drain completely. Is my guess true or is there a REAL and ACCURATE solution?

Regards

instant_record

I have obtained a lot of 5x supercaps for the Gitup. If you would like to buy one off me for £2 inc postage (UK only sorry), send me a PM.

skvsn

Tried removing the screw but this did not solve the problem. Main battery still discharges to 0 in about 4-5 days when camera is OFF. Date/time resets when I replace the battery. Tried pushing on the RTC capacitor but it did not move at all. Is it soldered to the PCB? It looks like it is spot-welded to the top terminal which is then soldered to PCB. Are there any other "screws" that could cause battery drains?

Dragon.Zhong

Administrator
Tried removing the screw but this did not solve the problem. Main battery still discharges to 0 in about 4-5 days when camera is OFF. Date/time resets when I replace the battery. Tried pushing on the RTC capacitor but it did not move at all. Is it soldered to the PCB? It looks like it is spot-welded to the top terminal which is then soldered to PCB. Are there any other "screws" that could cause battery drains?
It seem that the capacitor lost power either. how about we resend that kit for you replace.?

skvsn

Hello, I can definitely try replacing it if you can send a new one.