How to connect a power bank between Hardwire HK3 and the dashcam?

IndexTM

How do I connect a powerbank between the fuse box / hardwire and the dashcam?

Can I use the cable from the fuse box directly to the powerbank and from the powerbank to the dashcam? Do I still need to connect the powerbank to the car via usb or 12v cigarette plug?

The parking mode should work. So the dashcam should detect when I turn off the engine. The power bank should only be used when the battery no longer supplies power and the hardwire therefore switches off.

I use the A129 Duo in the 2020 Ford Focus MK4.

Attachments

Last edited:

blessing786

Why are wiring it via the Hard wiring kit if your looking to use the power bank? Do you want your power bank to charge when the engine is off?

You could install the hardwiring kit >then power bank > then dash cam but then unless your put a duration on the parking mode it will record until the power bank is empty?

The issue you have is that you can only plug in the DASH cam either into the power bank or car/cig light/ hardwiring kit, if you plug in to the power bank, there is no way the camera will know the power is running off power bank or fixed sources unless it was cut out by a switch or unplugging of wires. I.e. When you switch the vehicle off the camera will continue to run off the powerbank until its empty and wont be able to switch into parking mode.

Last edited:

IndexTM

Why are wiring it via the Hard wiring kit if your looking to use the power bank? Do you want your power bank to charge when the engine is off?
I don't want to charge the Power Bank. It will only connected in parking mode.

Once after a few hours the battery / hardwire cut off @12V, it should continue to supply the dashcam with power. or exactly inverse. first power bank than hardwire. (auto event detection) Just to extend the time to continue recording with the power bank when the battery / hardwire cut off.

blessing786

I don't want to charge the Power Bank. It will only connected in parking mode.

Once after a few hours the battery / hardwire cut off @12V, it should continue to supply the dashcam with power. or exactly inverse. first power bank than hardwire. (auto event detection) Just to extend the time to continue recording with the power bank when the battery / hardwire cut off.
This won't be possible.... Unless you manually switch cables....

For example your hardwire kit stays on until it hits the voltage you have set, it then turns off, the power bank cannot kick in as the camera only has one input of cable.

The only way I can see this working is in reverse where the power bank is depeteled, the camera then switches to parking mode and the hardwire kit powers the power bank which in turn powers the camera.