Light level problems with fixed, auto ISO

helmingstay

I'm playing with settings for low-level time lapse captures, using FW1.6.
I've had two main issues so far that seem firmware-related.

A) "Flicker effects" - i.e., random variation in image brightness between frames.
These are especially annoying in low light. I've tried locking *both* exposure time and ISO. My environmental light levels aren't changing, so the levels variation is camera-driven, but I don't see how/why. The only work-around I've found to this problem is simply averaging together 2 frames at a time, which is sub-optimal.

B) Auto-ISO non-functional in low light.
I just tried a low light capture where I locked the shutter speed at 2 seconds, and selected ISO=Auto. The camera auto-selected 50 ISO, resulting in almost complete blackness. As such, it appears that Auto ISO is completely broken for low-light use at present.

I also tried manually setting ISO to 1600 w/auto shutter speed, and the shutter went to 1/15 sec. I imagine this 1/15 sec minimum is an attempt to avoid motion blur. But in my case, I'm shooting from a steady platform...

I want to say how much I love the control that the Git2 provides over settings. I'm amazed at how much this camera can do. The above isn't meant as criticism, but rather specific feedback to make the firmware even better :)
best,
Christian

Alistair Parsons

There will always be problems with action cameras in lowlight, the git1 does better as pixels are larger.

I have a feeling that the auto shutter speeds and iso only really work as auto when both set as auto, if you set one as manual you need to set the other as manual

helmingstay

There will always be problems with action cameras in lowlight, the git1 does better as pixels are larger.

I have a feeling that the auto shutter speeds and iso only really work as auto when both set as auto, if you set one as manual you need to set the other as manual
Just to clarify, my experience with the Git2 is that it works beautifully in low light using fully manually settings and a stable base. I'm getting some very nice star pictures using 5 sec exposure, given that it's a <$200 camera. And, of course, it does just fine in high light fully automatically.

I understand the shutter decision, but the behavior under auto ISO seems like an easy fix:
---> If ISO=auto & picture = black at current ISO value, then try a higher ISO value. Repeat until highest ISO is reached, or light meter reads > X for some reasonable value of X.