New Firmware Install No Go

NewbieOC

So I plugged in my cam to my PC to pull some footage and figured I would update the firmware. Followed the usual steps but It wont install.
I copy the new version to the formated card unplugged and plug back in and nothing happens. Lights dont flash as installing and file doesn't disappear as it states on site. Suggestions?
All is fine when I put it back in the car.... just V1.9 not V2.2. I installed it just under DCIM not inside that folder. Am I missing a step?

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
Hello,

Please click here to test your card first. If there is no error with it, then try updating the firmware again referring to this link. After changing firmware, we also recommend defaulting the settings in the manual and pressing and holding the R button (on the camera body side) for about 5 secs to reset the dashcam.

Systeman

So I plugged in my cam to my PC to pull some footage and figured I would update the firmware. Followed the usual steps but It wont install.
I copy the new version to the formated card unplugged and plug back in and nothing happens. Lights dont flash as installing and file doesn't disappear as it states on site. Suggestions?
All is fine when I put it back in the car.... just V1.9 not V2.2. I installed it just under DCIM not inside that folder. Am I missing a step?
Copy the downloaded .bin file to the root folder of your DCIM folder and not in it. Usually it's the USB Drive (E:)
'E' may be different, it might be a different letter, but it will be the USB Drive folder in which DCIM is under.

NewbieOC

Copy the downloaded .bin file to the root folder of your DCIM folder and not in it. Usually it's the USB Drive (E:)
'E' may be different, it might be a different letter, but it will be the USB Drive folder in which DCIM is under.
I did that..... I even scanned the card for errors and its fine. Wiped it clean and started over and it only installs V1.9 Build 20190711. When I download the updated firmware I copy it to that Drive ( Mine is I) where my cam card is. I see the DCIM Folder there. I just paste it Under DCIM (see atatched) and it just sits there. I dont see any option to extract or install and when I pull up my Version, its the old one. What am I doing wrong! Under DCIM is Photos and Movies, should I try putting it there?

Attachments

Capture Your Action

I did that..... I even scanned the card for errors and its fine. Wiped it clean and started over and it only installs V1.9 Build 20190711. When I download the updated firmware I copy it to that Drive ( Mine is I) where my cam card is. I see the DCIM Folder there. I just paste it Under DCIM (see atatched) and it just sits there. I dont see any option to extract or install and when I pull up my Version, its the old one. What am I doing wrong! Under DCIM is Photos and Movies, should I try putting it there?
Your issue is the (5) in the file name (you must have downloaded it 5 times). The name must be FWA129.bin.

Systeman

Your problem is you have somehow renamed the .bin file.

It must be FWA129.bin and not FWA129(5)

Tip:
Connect your camera to your computer with the USB cable plugged into the power USB port of the camera.
Turn on the camera.
Go into the settings and format your SD card in the camera itself.
Turn the camera off.
Connect the camera to your computer with the USB cable connected to camera side USB port.
You should then see on your computer, the camera file layout. as you did before.
Place the FWA129.bin file in DCIM root as you did last time. Only this time, make sure it is correctly named FWA129.bin and nothing else but.
Turn the camera off.
Turn the camera back on with the USB cable again connected to the power port, the camera will power up and you will see the power red LED flicker away, that will be the firmware updating.
Give it time to complete the process. When done it will boot up. You can then go into the settings mode and enter your preferences.

Last edited:

NewbieOC

Your problem is you have somehow renamed the .bin file.

It must be FWA129.bin and not FWA129(5)

Tip:
Connect your camera to your computer with the USB cable plugged into the power USB port of the camera.
Turn on the camera.
Go into the settings and format your SD card in the camera itself.
Turn the camera off.
Connect the camera to your computer with the USB cable connected to camera side USB port.
You should then see on your computer, the camera file layout. as you did before.
Place the FWA129.bin file in DCIM root as you did last time. Only this time, make sure it is correctly named FWA129.bin and nothing else but.
Turn the camera off.
Turn the camera back on, the camera will power up and you will see the power red LED flicker away, that will be the firmware updating.
Give it time to complete the process. When done it will boot up. You can then go into the settings mode and enter your preferences.
OMG! I Love you! Thank you! That worked! I had to delete the copies from the Downloads first. I just assumed it was a copy and would still send the actual file. Question (if you know)... I have front and rear cams. Hardwired. For Live Video Source I have it set to Rear Overlaid. But I cant find anything on "Rear cam Mirror". Do you know what that is and should I have it OFF or ON if Im already recording both cam angles.

Systeman

See here:

No need to use that setting. If you do the recorded image will look the same as if you looked in your rear view mirror. Therefore, on footage a vehicle number plate will of course be back to front, right to left and not left to right. I think!

NewbieOC

See here:

No need to use that setting. If you do the recorded image will look the same as if you looked in your rear view mirror. Therefore, on footage a vehicle number plate will of course be back to front, right to left and not left to right. I think!
Got it... Thank you again. I REALLY appreciate it! :)