Not recording prior to emergency button push

jamesnz

Yesterday I pressed the emergency button to record a motorist who ran into the back of my car, When I downloaded the files onto the PC All I have in the RO folder is a file made at the time when I pushed the button onwards, Normally the vifio would record a few seconds prior to the button press. Does this behaviour change because it's set to loop recording ? There seems little point in just recording the aftermath.

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

When you press the remote control once, the dashcam will lock the current video clips and images.

jamesnz

I
Hello,

When you press the remote control once, the dashcam will lock the current video clips and images.
So If I press the emergency button 5 seconds after an accident and the 5 min loop recording had started a new file 2 seconds after the accident, it wont record the accident at all ?

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
So If I press the emergency button 5 seconds after an accident
Then the dashcam only records the 5-second later's video.

the 5 min loop recording had started a new file 2 seconds after the accident
The former 5-min video can record part of the accident, and the new 5-min file can also include the later part of the accident. As in the loop recording, the accident can be recorded, not be locked.

Last edited:

Capture Your Action

Check the file just before the file from the RO folder. This file will be in with the other regular files.

jamesnz

But the end user doesn't KNOW where they are in that recording cycle. This needs fixing. If I press the emergency button I want to record what happens PRIOR and AFTER that button push. You say its recorded but not locked, but the end user doesnt know that, and unless they stop and review the footage after each emergency press that footage gets over written in about an hour. The whole job of the dashcam is to record an incident, isn't that why you have loop recording. The old 119 seems like it locked the file prior if the button was pushed within 15 seconds of a new file starting.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Dashcam/comments/78p4qm This is the dashcams one job , and to lock the relevant files, not make the end user guess if they will be overwritten or stop on the side of the road and grab the footage via wifi just in case it decides to overwrite it later. Right now I have nothing to show my insurance company except what happened AFTER the accident.

jamesnz

Check the file just before the file from the RO folder. This file will be in with the other regular files.
sadly there's just one file in the RO folder, that starts a few seconds after the accident, all other files in the main folder were overwritten.

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
But the end user doesn't KNOW where they are in that recording cycle. This needs fixing. If I press the emergency button I want to record what happens PRIOR and AFTER that button push. You say its recorded but not locked, but the end user doesnt know that, and unless they stop and review the footage after each emergency press that footage gets over written in about an hour. The whole job of the dashcam is to record an incident, isn't that why you have loop recording. The old 119 seems like it locked the file prior if the button was pushed within 15 seconds of a new file starting.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Dashcam/comments/78p4qm This is the dashcams one job , and to lock the relevant files, not make the end user guess if they will be overwritten or stop on the side of the road and grab the footage via wifi just in case it decides to overwrite it later. Right now I have nothing to show my insurance company except what happened AFTER the accident.
We'll see if a new firmware can fix this.

Capture Your Action

sadly there's just one file in the RO folder, that starts a few seconds after the accident, all other files in the main folder were overwritten.
What size card are you using? How long did you wait to try to retrieve the files? I wouldn't use any card under 256GB in the Pro.

jamesnz

What size card are you using? How long did you wait to try to retrieve the files? I wouldn't use any card under 256GB in the Pro.
I'm using a 256 , I travelled for another 3.5 - 4 hrs afterwards , 4k front, plus the rear, I assumed it would be saved, when I got back home I put the sd card in the pc.

Capture Your Action

I'm using a 256 , I travelled for another 3.5 - 4 hrs afterwards , 4k front, plus the rear, I assumed it would be saved, when I got back home I put the sd card in the pc.
Something to consider is to have another card available in cases like this. Important files like an accident, should be copied from the card or a spare card should replace it ASAP. This is especially true if your in a position where your gonna be driving for hours and the camera will possibly overwrite the file.

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
Now, most of our cameras can lock two videos simultaneously when an emergency recording is triggered, there will be a little difference in spefic cameras, but it is similar as per the below pic.