Recorded Video Files Are Wrong & More

Systeman

The camera has now failed completely.

I updated to firmware 1.90.
I did a factory reset.
I did a format.
I went thru all the settings correctly. I know they were correct because they were working correctly prior to the problems.
I did all the above several times
I tested the SD card and it's perfect.
I double checked the hardwire system - all perfect.
I even rolled back to the previous 1.80 firmware.

The problems
The camera started to fail to switch between parking mode and normal driving mode, when it did record in parking mode, it intermittently would drop the letter 'P' from the rear anfd front video file names. I tried all the parking mode setting options - all produced the same problems.

In Parking mode it would also start to record file lengths of 45 seconds for the front file and 46 seconds for the rear file, consecutivly. The file system would also show 00:00:00 files.
In parking mode, it would switch by itself to normal mode and back, sometimes showing the correct file string with the 'P' for parking mode.

The latest problem was that I could set up the camera while connected to the computer via the power in port of the GPS unit. But when I put in back in the car and plugged in the power-to-the-camera (USB) port, it would not boot up, not even if I pressed the power-on button. When I switched the ignition on the camera booted up, but with loads of intermittent beeps, not the normal 2 beeps to indicate normal mode. I also noticed the rear camera overlay started to fade out, then come back on and flicker. The overlay would also go white and sometimes show the rear image but with a purple hue.

I tested the rear camera cable, it's perfect. But, when I plug it in the overlay image is intermittent and has an effect on the overall functioning of the camera. Such as:
if I presses on the side of the rear camera cable, the camera saved a video file to the RO folder. It then would start to beep erratically.

All of the recording now shows large files but with no video and no video or file length.

I have to conclude that the camera has now failed completely. The problem must be a PCB component failure and because of the rear camera issue, probably a short on a track.

Attachments

Capture Your Action

I would try the following in order, as some have found it helpful. Try it even if you've already tried most on the list.

1) use a paper clip to press the reset button on the side of the camera. Be sure not to stick it in the mic hole. This clears the memory buffer, helpful (possibly needed) when updating firmware.

2) enter the menu and manually default the cameras settings (yes, again).

3) Format the card inside the camera.

4) change only the time and date and test the camera. If you need parking mode, then set that too.

5) Change the boot delay to 5 seconds.

Systeman

Second in my list of things I did to try and fix the issue, was the reset. The first time I did the reset procedure, if I remember correctly, it returned the camera to factory settings. Settings such as Car number, Custom text and all other settings were wiped and reset.

In my last attempts it did not reset.

I only format the card in the camera.

I always set boot delay to 5 seconds.

But I will try all the above again including as you suggest, 4) above.

Thank you for your sugestions.

Capture Your Action

Second in my list of things I did to try and fix the issue, was the reset. The first time I did the reset procedure, if I remember correctly, it returned the camera to factory settings. Settings such as Car number, Custom text and all other settings were wiped and reset.

In my last attempts it did not reset.

I only format the card in the camera.

I always set boot delay to 5 seconds.

But I will try all the above again including as you suggest, 4) above.

Thank you for your sugestions.
I think your confusing the reset button on the side of the camera and the default settings option in the cameras menu. Both should be done. The reset button on the side of the camera will not erase any settings, but manually defaulting the cameras settings in the menu will bring the firmware settings back to default, erasing any setting you have changed.

Systeman

I tried again as suggested above. When I put the camera back into the car it will boot up without ignition on and I got the boot up sound, but now there is no overlay unless I jiggle the rear camera cable in the port. Even then it keeps flickering off and on and I keep getting lots of intermittent beeps. When I turn the ignition on there is no double beep. When I turn ignition off there is no double beep, which there was prior to the issues.

Now though, there are problems entering settings with the camera in the car. The power lead is ok though.

Capture Your Action

Either your rear camera or rear camera cable is damaged. Watch the LCD screen while the unit is on and the rear camera is plugged in. I'm assuming it's toggling between displaying 1080p + 1080p and just 1080p? If so, your losing the rear camera signal, which is probably why your having these issues.
Have you tried powering it on without a memory card inserted? Also, be sure WiFi is off.

Systeman

Today I disconnected the rear camera and the dash cam worked in normal and parking mode. The problem arises when I plug the lead into the dash cam rear camera port. I think it might actually be the board mounted socket itself, because when I press the cable in it's intermittent if I get a signal or not. Only Jiggling it about will get the signal but it keeps cutting out after a second or two.

Rear camera port socket!!

Thanks for your advice.

I've raised a ticket on this.

Capture Your Action

Today I disconnected the rear camera and the dash cam worked in normal and parking mode. The problem arises when I plug the lead into the dash cam rear camera port. I think it might actually be the board mounted socket itself, because when I press the cable in it's intermittent if I get a signal or not. Only Jiggling it about will get the signal but it keeps cutting out after a second or two.

Rear camera port socket!!

Thanks for your advice.

I've raised a ticket on this.
Most likely the port on the rear camera, but I've also seen the same behavior if the connector on the cable is faulty. You should contact your seller directly, unless you purchased directly from the Viofo website. Good luck.

Systeman

OK everyone,

It seems that was the cable at fault. I installed a new one and it fixed all the issues. That surprises me, because the cable is quite substantial and should stand up to quite a long period of being flexed near the rear camera, and being pushed in/pulled out of the dash cam. So I suspect it's the 90 degree connector at fault. I say that only because when inserted into the dash cam and jiggling it about, it kept making and breaking the signal.

So for now at least, all is ok.

retiredat44

Website
www.facebook.com
OK everyone,

It seems that was the cable at fault. I installed a new one and it fixed all the issues. That surprises me, because the cable is quite substantial and should stand up to quite a long period of being flexed near the rear camera, and being pushed in/pulled out of the dash cam. So I suspect it's the 90 degree connector at fault. I say that only because when inserted into the dash cam and jiggling it about, it kept making and breaking the signal.

So for now at least, all is ok.
I cannot push my main cable into the A129 camera all the way in, or it loses contact. I have to pull it out a hair. Do I need to buy a new cable? it is in a a newer Camry Hybrd and we are two old farts, so there is no abuse. Thanx.... it has to be the cable.... it better be...

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
I cannot push my main cable into the A129 camera all the way in, or it loses contact. I have to pull it out a hair. Do I need to buy a new cable? it is in a a newer Camry Hybrd and we are two old farts, so there is no abuse. Thanx.... it has to be the cable.... it better be...
Hello,

Can you please confirm if the rear cable port is broken?