[Solved] Viofo A119S random beeps and recording loss. What else to check?

Via

Hi,
my Viofo A119S has been working without any problems for the past 2 years. When suddenly it started to beep once in a while. Also, the video files started to get corrupted, not full-length, and have a significant time-space between them.

Firmware 4.0
SD card: Transcend microSDXC 300S 64GB UHS-I U1
G-sensor / Parking Mode / Line control / GPS always off.

What I tried to do:
  • Changed the SD Card to a new Transcend, formatted it with SDFormatter
  • Changed the SD Card to another 16GB one, which I know works correctly
  • Upgraded to the latest firmware (previously it was 2.61, now 4.0)
  • Reset the settings to default
  • Formatted the SD cards first on my laptop with SDFormatter, then in Viofo before use
  • Played with settings like video quality and length
  • Changed the cable and car adapter.
I don't think the problem is in the SD card (3 faulty cards at once?). Is there anything else I can do to diagnose and hopefully fix my Viofo A119S? Any ideas...

Last edited:

Capture Your Action

Since your out of warranty, I would open it up and inspect the capacitors. If the bottom of either capacitor is bulging, it's bad and is likely the cause of your issue.

Via

Capture Your Action, thanks for the idea! I've checked the capacitors, they look good to me:

Via

Update: I've tried to use TS file format instead of mp4. So far so good, over one hour of seamless recording.
If that will fix the problem, I'll make an update in a couple of days.

Capture Your Action

I can see why TS would fix the corruption as it doesn’t need to close out the file like MP4 does, but not sure what correlation it has to the camera cutting the files short. That’s usually a card or power issue. Have you checked to make sure they are all the proper length?

Via

[Update]
I've changed the cars' accumulator battery and that fixed the issue with the dash camera! Haven't had any problems in two weeks.

Capture Your Action

Interesting! Not sure why the cars battery would have any affect on the camera while the car is running.

Via

Yes, I've tried many different settings and hacks (like changing the wire or use a different socket in the car) during the past month. But only after I changed the battery my Viofo started working correctly. I've even returned to the mp4 file format.

lvds

Yes, I've tried many different settings and hacks (like changing the wire or use a different socket in the car) during the past month. But only after I changed the battery my Viofo started working correctly. I've even returned to the mp4 file format.
Hi! I have the same problem. My dashcam started beeping randomly about a month ago. At first I just turned off the sound on the dashcam and I thought that was all, because the video and everything else was ok. No cut, all videos were as always. I drove like this for a month and on Sunday, when I wanted to upload a video of the accident to my PC, I noticed that the videos are randomly cut every 50 seconds, then there is a 15 second break and the camera records again. Over and over again. I did a search on the internet to see if anyone has a similar problem and I got your topic on this forum. I am a car mechanic so I checked my battery immediately but it was in good condition. After all, I replaced it with a new one and programmed it in my car (quite specific electronics in this car). The alternator and all the other electronics are fine too, everything else works as it should. If even one of the above mentioned things was broken, the car's memory would be full of errors. But there's absolutely nothing and all the set points and values are okay.

But... the dashcam beeps and stops recording all the time. Even after battery replace.

lvds

How old is the memory card? Have you formatted it in the camera recently?
The memory card is less than a year old, was only used in the dashcam all the time and was specially purchased for this purpose. I have formatted it many times from the dashcam menu.

Via

lvds, How old is your dashcam?
Try another SDCard, try the .TS file format, try different dashcam settings (especially related to video quality & format), try different socket in your car. How does it record if you just connect it to your PC via USB?

lvds

lvds, How old is your dashcam?
Try another SDCard, try the .TS file format, try different dashcam settings (especially related to video quality & format), try different socket in your car. How does it record if you just connect it to your PC via USB?
My camera is 2 years old. Micro SD card 128gb is 1 year old. Dashcam connected to a PC has the same problems. So I can rule out power problems.

I just did a test of my two micro sd cards. One 64gb, the other 128gb (128gb was in dashcam). 128gb card has write problems. The first 2 attempts were okay, all values over 30MB/s. Then the card writes once with a speed of 35MB/S, and after that this value drops to 5MB/s. I did a lot tries and it debugged the program every time. My micro SD card seems to be broken. And so on and on with each test. This could explain the interruption of recording.

My 64GB card is fine. All the time over 40MB/S write.

Capture Your Action

Format the card with SDFormatter. Perform the full overwrite, not the quick format. After using SDFormatter, format in the camera again.
Also, USB ports, whether in the car or computer, should not be used to power the camera, as they do not supply enough power.

lvds

So i did the full format with SDFormatter (it took over 15 hours! I do not know why) and the card still has write values of 8MB/s, which is.... I am going to the store where I bought it tomorrow, I have already written an e-mail and the warranty has been accepted.