Video Encoding...

ps23Rick

Hi all.. I'm new here and just received my Duo Pro a few days ago. I recorded some video (H.264 -- the default encoding) and today I tried playing it back on my Mac (running Catalina) but found it lagging -- it was like it had a time delay of a second between each frame.. However, if I fired it up using the VLC player, it worked fine. But, I tried it both the standard QuickTime player and I also tried importing the videos into iMovie. Both QT and iMovie results are the same -- very choppy.

I found someone on the Dashcam forum talking about this and suggesting to try H.265 encoding (long-hold the MIC button) and the resulting video encoding is now showing as AAC,HEVC instead of AAC, H.264. Here's the two formats and how they looked from the Mac perspective.

Default format showing H.264..

Revised version showing H.265 (HEVC)

I don't know if anyone else is seeing this, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.. That little encoding change made a huge difference on my Mac, funny thing is that the same H.264 videos played fine on my IOS and iPad (iOS 13).. Go figure. Anyway, perhaps this might help someone..

mermelmadness

HEVC is another form of H.265. AAC is the audio codec.

H.264 is VERY compressed and some programs, even Apple made ones, have issues playing it smoothly. VLC will play nearly anything, which is why it processes H.264 fine. H.264 is also the default video format for most iPhone/iPad devices.

H.265 is supposed to give the same quality as H.264 but with a greatly reduced file size. I was struggling to figure out how to change it, so thanks for that.

I'm a video professional so let me know if you have any further video-related questions.

coke

Does this mean H.265 (HEVC) will produce file (same duration, similar quality) at much smaller file size?

This would be welcoming news as this means more can be recorded for the same micro-SD card.

But if some Mac programs struggle with decoding H.264, wouldn't they be even worse with H.265?

mermelmadness

I have limited experience with H.265 but that's what it's supposed to do. As for the playback programs, I'm surprised you had issues playing an H.264 in Quicktime. It should be able to handle it fine. It also depends on your Mac. I have a late 2018 MacBook Pro and it handles H.264 fine in QT and VLC.

coke

I have just tried playing my recording using QuickTime, on my late 2018 MBP 13" mid spec, and playback is also very very choppy! Identical result as if I use the MacOS preview function. VLC is fine.

Details of my video file: https://share.getcloudapp.com/kpumAxA1

its a 10 mins clip recorded at 4k 30fps using H.264

I have then switched to H.265 as per ps23Rick, and can confirm the same result!

mermelmadness

Interesting. Maybe it's the 4K. I personally don't have any issues for playback of H.264 or H.265 on my 15" MBP. It may help that I have extra codecs installed due to having the Adobe Master Suite. I would say to just set your default player to VLC.

gokiburisandwich

I’m still trying to figure out how to do this. Same issue with playback. But can’t seem to find an option to change the encoding...

gokiburisandwich

Press and hold the MIC button to change back and forth.
I assume I have to be out of recording mode before I do this, right? When I hold down the mic button, an icon lights up that looks like the SD card with a down arrow. Is this how I confirm the change? I don’t know how to access the encoding menu that op is showing.

Capture Your Action

I assume I have to be out of recording mode before I do this, right? When I hold down the mic button, an icon lights up that looks like the SD card with a down arrow. Is this how I confirm the change? I don’t know how to access the encoding menu that op is showing.
Yes, the sd card image confirms the change. The OP’s images I assume are the file properties as shown by a MAC.

PWLexor19

Hi all.. I'm new here and just received my Duo Pro a few days ago. I recorded some video (H.264 -- the default encoding) and today I tried playing it back on my Mac (running Catalina) but found it lagging -- it was like it had a time delay of a second between each frame.. However, if I fired it up using the VLC player, it worked fine. But, I tried it both the standard QuickTime player and I also tried importing the videos into iMovie. Both QT and iMovie results are the same -- very choppy.

I found someone on the Dashcam forum talking about this and suggesting to try H.265 encoding (long-hold the MIC button) and the resulting video encoding is now showing as AAC,HEVC instead of AAC, H.264. Here's the two formats and how they looked from the Mac perspective.

I don't know if anyone else is seeing this, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.. That little encoding change made a huge difference on my Mac, funny thing is that the same H.264 videos played fine on my IOS and iPad (iOS 13).. Go figure. Anyway, perhaps this might help someone..
I had the same issue with my mid-2012 macbook pro. Going to H265 as you describe solved the problem. Can't thank you enough.
I find it strange that topic is not covered in the viofo manual.

ScottyO

I could have written the same message as the original poster! I just returned from a trip and decided to make a little movie in iMovie on my iMac, but can't get it to play. Video plays fine in VLC or in the VIOFO app on my iPad. Since the video has already been shot, it's too late to be discussing CODECs.

Since this was originally written, has anyone come up with a solution or workaround?

cat2devnull

So it's not as simple as choosing between H.264 and H.265 (HEVC). Each codec has many different options for encoding. It would appear that the A129 uses some options that the default Mac OSX doesn't understand. If it appears choppy then it is probably playing the I frames without any issue but is struggling with some option used to encode the B/P frames.
So you have options available since the original video is intact;
  • Use different software to edit your video
  • Re-encode the video to avoid the option that causes the issue
You can re-encode into H.264 or switch to a different codec.
FFmpeg is the industry goto product for manipulating codecs and containers. It's free and open source.
If the command line is not your thing then Handbrake is another option which uses FFmeg under the hood.

If you are not familiar with video formats there is a lot to get your head around;
  • Containers: MKV, MP4, AVI, etc
  • Video codecs: H.264, H.265, MPEG4, VP9, etc (framerate, profile, tune, quality...)
  • Audio codecs: AAC, AC3, MP3, etc (sample rate, bitrate, mono/stereo)

I would recommend just transcoding the video H.264 into H.265, don't change the resolution or frame rate and passthrough the audio.
Probably use MP4 as the container. A lot of default Mac apps don't work with MKV.
If future use H.265 for your recordings if you are recording in 4K, it is way more efficient and designed for encoding 4K.

Eric C Morton

View attachment 624

View attachment 623

View attachment 624

View attachment 623

Hi
I seem to have the same problem butcwould like to know how you changed the codec - Did you long press the Mic button while the Dashcam was in the Car with all normal sydtems running or did you connect it to your computer and change it

cat2devnull

I don't have that model but you should be able to switch between H.264 and H.265 as per the comments above.
It's also discussed on the DashCamTalk website.
  1. Stop Recording by pressing the record button
  2. Long press the MIC button for 4 seconds
  3. When an SD card icon appears on the left side of the screen, H.265 is enabled
H.265 should give much better quality for the same file size, or smaller file for the same quality (depending on your settings) but works best at higher resolutions. General consensus is H.264 for 1080p or lower and H.265 for 1440p or higher.

Also check that you are on the latest firmware.

It's hardly surprising that the videos have issue playing on Mac in the native apps. Apple only support a limited subset of the H.264/5 spec based on what they use for recording on the iPhone. If you play a video recorded on another device then it's a bit hit and miss. You may just have to use another player (aka VLC) or transcode the video using Handbrake or similar if you have to use the native apps.