Viofo A119 V3 does not power on with ignition and other issues

jlim

I have used the Viofo A119 V3
I have used the Viofo A119 V3 for more than a month and found several issues with it.

The major issue with the Viofo A119 V3 or indeed any Viofo dashcam is that you will need a dashcam viewer to make use of the GPS data captured by the dashcam GPS unit. Viofo does not have a proprietary dashcam viewer like Garmin, Navman and many other dashcams manufacturers. Consequently one will have to shelve out US$76 for a dashcam viewer to be able to utilise the data captured by the Viofo A119 V9. At a cost of US$76.00, the viewer is just about the cost cost of the dashcam itself. Surely Viofo can do better by providing a proprietary dashcam viewer with the Viofo A119 V3 or any other Viofo dashcams.

I also discovered another problem today after a trip. I found out that the Viofo A119 V3 did not switch on when I started the car and did not realise it until the end of the trip. Had there been an accident, I would have no record of the accident. I then found out that other users have had the same issue. This sucks.

Other issues are:
Rattling rasping noise due to vibration
Format does not format the card unless it is performed twice
Screen is too small and difficult to see whether the dashcam is recording
Useless Viofo circular polariser which does not help in reducing glare on windscreen

Surely Viofo can do better

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
Hello,

Thanks for your feedback! We'll take your suggestions carefully!

1.Do you use this dashcam viewer? It can provide some free quotas for the unregistered who don't use GPS data frequently.
Rattling rasping noise due to vibration
Please slide out the GPS mount and check if the EVA foam pad is broken on the back of the camera.

May I know what card do you use? Did you format the card directly in the dashcam?

Screen is too small and difficult to see whether the dashcam is recording
When it's recording, the REC led will be solid red.

Useless Viofo circular polariser which does not help in reducing glare on windscreen
Please check if the CPL is installed correctly referring to this page.

If the installation is right, could you please share with us a short clip of using the CPL by uploading it to WeTransfer?

Last edited:

jlim

dashcam viewer is expensive to buy. The free option takes only 2 clips at a time. It's very limited in usage and not able to change preferences.
I affixed the foam pad myself. This should have been affixed by Viofo since it is a known problem. I wasted time trying to find out where the noise was coming from and the foam pad is very fiddly to affix.
I use a Samsung Evo card and it was formatted using the Viofo A119 V3
The A119 V3 did not switch on when ignition was turned on. Why is this?
The Cpl was installed correctly. In fact other reviewers had stated that it does not help in reducing windscreen glare and not worth spending money on it. Please check reviews on Youtube.

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
I affixed the foam pad myself. This should have been affixed by Viofo since it is a known problem. I wasted time trying to find out where the noise was coming from and the foam pad is very fiddly to affix.
Really sorry for the inconvenience caused! We'll cancel the foam in the future.

Please try reload the firmware in the dashcam, and then manually default the cameras settings, then go to press and hold the hard reset button on the side of the camera for about 5 seconds.
Here is an instruction about How to format the microSD card? We suggest you format the card on the computer as well.

The A119 V3 did not switch on when ignition was turned on. Why is this?
Do you use a HK3 hardwire kit or the supplied car charger? Do you power the dashcam through the USB port on the camera body side or through the GPS mount?

The Cpl was installed correctly.
Could you please share with us a short clip of using the CPL by uploading it to WeTransfer? We'll check it and make an improvement if it doesn't work.

zippy1148

I have the same issue of the camera not always starting to record with ignition start up. Didnt realise other users had the same issue. I have tried a different camera, different memory card, start up delay and checked all cables and the mount. I have a 2 wire hardwired cable and have tried it in the camera and GPS mount. @VIOFO-Support - is the issue resolved by using a HK3 wire cable?

Kremmen

Try changing the boot delay to 5 seconds. There are quite a few ignition sources that are temporarily killed off by the starter motor.

As a test test the unit indoors using a mobile phone mains charger.

If that works OK then the dashcam isn't faulty.