A119v3 + GPS mount + 3-wire kit for parking mode

mcfuzz89

Hello!

Wondering if I can wire the A119v3 with the 3-wire kit and GPS mount and also take advantage of the parking mode. Based on some reading I did for the A129, it appears the GPS mount does not support this capability...

Also - with parking mode enabled, does it lock clips that are detected using motion detection (meaning they wont get overwritten)?

Thanks!

Capture Your Action

The GPS on the A119V3 does support the 3-wire kit when plugged into the mount.

Motion activated clips while in parking mode do not go into the RO folder, they go into the normal video folder and will be overwritten at some point. G-sensor clips while in parking mode go into the RO folder.

mcfuzz89

The GPS on the A119V3 does support the 3-wire kit when plugged into the mount.
Awesome - good thing I checked before buying the kit and the GPS mount.

Motion activated clips while in parking mode do not go into the RO folder, they go into the normal video folder and will be overwritten at some point. G-sensor clips while in parking mode go into the RO folder.
This is also good to know. Does the camera display anything if motion or g-sensor events were detected? How is the sensitivity of motion, is it adjustable?

And to confirm - if I park it in my garage and shut off the camera via the button, it goes into regular standby mode - no recording of any type, right?

Capture Your Action

If parking mode is triggered, the camera does not display anything. You will need to look through the files manually. With firmware V1.8, you can adjust the motion detection and g-sensor sensitivities for parking mode. I think these features are still being tweaked by Viofo though, so they are a work in progress.

If you shut off the camera by pressing and holding the left most button, the camera will be off, not standby mode.

mcfuzz89

If parking mode is triggered, the camera does not display anything. You will need to look through the files manually. With firmware V1.8, you can adjust the motion detection and g-sensor sensitivities for parking mode. I think these features are still being tweaked by Viofo though, so they are a work in progress.

If you shut off the camera by pressing and holding the left most button, the camera will be off, not standby mode.
OK - got it, thanks!

IrishWhiskey

Thanks for this info. I bought the A119v3 and 3 wire kit. I have the usb mini plug going directly into the camera at this point (but may move it to GPS for a cleaner look now that I see it's an option for the v3). Yellow wire is piggy/tapped with 5A going to my cig lighter fuse (20A) and the camera correctly powers when the ignition is turned on. The red wire I have tapped to one of my door lock fuses (15A) and I verified with multimeter that it's supplying ~12.75v when the car is off. That said, when I turn the ignition off, the camera stays on for about a minute and then powers off. I was assuming that it's now in standby mode and still working despite no display, but after walking in front of the car and then turning the ignition back on, there's no new file. Parking mode is enabled at 1fps. Time lapse set to 200ms if that matters at all. No motion detection.

Is it possible that it's not getting power when the ignition is off? But given the camera won't power up with ignition if the red wire isn't also connected/tapped, I assumed that at least something was working on that side of the wiring. Hoping I just missed something easy rather than having to figure out if it's a problem with the wire kit or fuse tap :/

Capture Your Action

Is the camera actually off? Are there any lights on?

If no lights, then I would think either your red BATT wire is losing power (after one minute?) or your hardwire kit is shutting the camera off due to it reaching the voltage cutoff selection point. What do you have the cutoff set for?

IrishWhiskey

No lights or ability to function once it appears to shuts off. Voltage cutoff set to 12.4 I'll try 12 maybe?

IrishWhiskey

I moved the tap from my power locks to a 5A Homelink fuse just to rule that out. Backing it down to 12.2 had mixed results - stayed on longer than previously, but still shut down entirely after about 3 minutes. It's on 12v now I've been checking to make sure the REC is red for about an hour now. So far so good. I'm a little nervous that it seems to be drawing that much current, and when I turned on to ignition it said the battery had been disconnected. Unsure if that's related to the draw or if it was just me messing around in the fuse box.

Thanks for your help! Will report back tomorrow.

Capture Your Action

Your battery is probably weaker than you think. How old is it? How often do you drive to charge up the battery?

What told you that the battery had been disconnected? Your cars computer?

IrishWhiskey

Your battery is probably weaker than you think. How old is it? How often do you drive to charge up the battery?

What told you that the battery had been disconnected? Your cars computer?
2011 335i (July 2010 build date). I replaced the battery about 2 years ago with whatever the BMW OEM was. I drive most weekdays, but hadn't since Friday afternoon and I maybe I drained it a bit while working on this project? No radio, but interior lights were on and off and a lot of ignition on testing.

Ya, this message popped up on the screen. I haven't seen it again since I finalized things earlier this morning. Just got back from getting groceries and car started no problem without error. Parking mode seemed to be on the whole time, so fingers crossed.

IrishWhiskey

Shot 16 hours of parking mode time lapse last night and car started no problem this morning. I think it was some combination of backing it down to 12.2v and also recharging the battery a bit after having worked for it so long in the garage without starting. Thanks for helping troubleshoot and isolate the problem. PM your Paypal - I'll buy you a beer.

Shay

When the engine is off, and the cam get into the parking mode - Auto Event Detection, it is not drain the battery while the camera doesn't shut down?
I have tested it, and even after 30 minutes after shutting down the engine, the cam was still on - on parking mode, so I wonder if everything is fine in this way.