A129 Pro Duo - Rear Camera Cable Thickness Query

Mercman

Hi, Almost ready to buy the A129 Pro Duo but am very concerned about the thickness of the front to rear cable as it looks quite thick when compared to other dashcam front/rear cables. Im unsure whether there will be sufficient room to feed/conceal it in the headlining etc. Has anyone installed a Viofo Duo into a Mercedes GLA or CLA/A Class before, and if so were any problems encountered concealing the cable?

Much appreciate any advice.

Last edited:

benkar

The cable for connecting to the rear camera is somewhat thicker and less flexible, but it certainly fits between the roof and ceiling. Likewise, inserting behind the pillar trim and possibly passing through the rubber door grommets. The work is unpleasant, but you can do it.

Paul Gillings

I have installed it in a Lexus RX. Its was fiddly to do, but take your time and i would also recommend a set of the plastic trim removal tools. helped me tuck cables in neatly and get trims off when needed etc.

Mercman

I have installed it in a Lexus RX. Its was fiddly to do, but take your time and i would also recommend a set of the plastic trim removal tools. helped me tuck cables in neatly and get trims off when needed etc.
Thanks for that Paul.

Capture Your Action

While the cable is a little thick, it's rarely an issue if you take the time to install it correctly. Those that just want to do it quickly and jam it in under the trim will find it troublesome, but if you pull down some of the gasket around the doors, you'll usually find a nice cavity to run the cable behind the air bags. It will also usually give you access to probably route the cable behind the air bag and over to where you mounted the front camera. You may need a stiff wire or something similar to help fish it through, but it's doable with a little patience. Every car is a little different, but I haven't had much of an issue with the 4 cars I've installed it on. Toughest part was feeding it through the rubber grommet/tube for the rear liftgate.

Mercman

Thanks Capture your action. I’ve been thinking about which method to use for some time now and done a lot of research into it, so I’ve decided to follow your suggestion particularly after watching a brilliant tutorial video on YouTube. The video shows the hardwiring procedure and precisely how to install Blackvue front & rear camera, feeding the rear camera cable through the headliner with the help of a ‘cable tongue pull’, and although I’m going to install a Viofo A29 Pro duo, it’s the same procedure.
I’m hoping to carry out the installation in a couple of weeks, so I’ll come back and let the forum know how i get on.
I’ll try and attach a screenshot of the YouTube video tutorial link in case anyone else may like to view it.

Cheers for the advice,620

Capture Your Action

One thing I would advise doing, is researching where any antennas are in the car. DAB, key fob...etc. For best results, you want to run the rear camera cable away from these antennas. Some cars need to have the cable run down along the floor instead of up along the roof line, to avoid these antennas. Running the cable next to them could possibly cause interference. Just an FYI. Maybe Google your make to see if others have had any issues.

Paul Gillings

Hi Mercman, the cable is 5mm. I know as i had to buy some Ferrite beads as the front to rear cable caused interference with my DAB radio. As i had already installed the cable neatly i didn't want to take it all out again. I think someone else pointed out the possible interference issue for you, but the Ferrite beads worked for me. Installed 2x on the cable near the front cam (improved things but did not cure issue), added 2x more near the rear cam, and 2x additional ones for good luck in an area i knew i had space to tuck them out of the way. This has cured the DAB radio interference.

Mercman

Hi Paul,

I’m glad that you’ve taken the time to advise me about the Dab radio issue as my aerial is incorporated within the rear hatch window and has been one of my main concerns. You mentioned that you’ve placed 6 ferrite beads on the cable, were you able to conceal them behind the headliner/trim? Also would you mind letting me know where you got the beads from.
Cheers,

Paul Gillings

I got the beads on Amazon ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N6X7DKM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )
£5.99 for a pack of ten.

I placed one right next to the front cam which is visible , and then concealed one very near this behind the rear view mirror trim.
the two next to rear can are about 10cm away from the rear cam and behind a trim panel, then the two for luck i put on the excess cable behind a trim panel.

I have seen some comments from others that ran cable on the floor, but i went the head liner route. Maybe try a temp (tape or cable tie) on each side as it may narrow down the best route for you, before you tuck it all away neatly. Also maybe try rear cam at top and bottom of rear screen as this may make a difference as well? I went for top as seemed most obvious place for best view, but you do notice it in the rear view mirror to start with.

Worst case the Ferrite beads did work for me, so may be OK for you.

Mercman

Thanks for the info on the Ferrite beads Paul, I’ll probably do a dummy run routing the rear cable with both the headliner and floor before committing, I’m gathering as much info as I can prior to purchasing the A129 Pro dual to try and prevent any problems so your advice is appreciated.

I have one other question, I intend to get a Samsung Pro Endurance 64gb micro SD card, but it seem’s there are a lot of fake’s out there, can you or others in this forum recommend a good place to ensure I actually get a genuine card?

Paul Gillings

Search
SanDisk High Endurance Video Monitoring Cards for Dashcams and Home Monitoring 128 GB MicroSDXC Card + SD Adapter
It would not let me add the link??
£30 on Amazon, and no issues so far

benkar

Thanks for the info on the Ferrite beads Paul, I’ll probably do a dummy run routing the rear cable with both the headliner and floor before committing, I’m gathering as much info as I can prior to purchasing the A129 Pro dual to try and prevent any problems so your advice is appreciated.

I have one other question, I intend to get a Samsung Pro Endurance 64gb micro SD card, but it seem’s there are a lot of fake’s out there, can you or others in this forum recommend a good place to ensure I actually get a genuine card?
I used to have a Samsung SDXC 128GB SD card, but it was either defective or not working properly. For myself I can recommend using a card from Viofo. Now I use VIOFO 128GB MLC UHS-3 and is without problems.

Mercman

I got the beads on Amazon ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N6X7DKM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )
£5.99 for a pack of ten.

I placed one right next to the front cam which is visible , and then concealed one very near this behind the rear view mirror trim.
the two next to rear can are about 10cm away from the rear cam and behind a trim panel, then the two for luck i put on the excess cable behind a trim panel.

I have seen some comments from others that ran cable on the floor, but i went the head liner route. Maybe try a temp (tape or cable tie) on each side as it may narrow down the best route for you, before you tuck it all away neatly. Also maybe try rear cam at top and bottom of rear screen as this may make a difference as well? I went for top as seemed most obvious place for best view, but you do notice it in the rear view mirror to start with.

Worst case the Ferrite beads did work for me, so may be OK for you.

Paul, what diameter ferrite’s did you use as they are only showing 3mm, 7mm & 9mm?

Mercman

Paul, the Site link are only showing sizes 3mm, 7mm & 9mm, you mentioned that the cable thickness is 5mm, so which size ferrite bead did you go for?