A139 - temperature

sharkys

Hi,
few questions....

1. my A139 3CH with FW 1.1 cam is getting quite hot regardless of the operational mode (parking mode etc.). I measured it's on 50°C after running like for 1 hour in case of ambient temperature of let's say 25°C. Is this normal or the camera will blow-up soon ? ;-)

2. Also, I recently discovered that my camera was not recording for a week - is there some settings to start overwriting even locked events, eg. old ones ? It was very unpleasant surprise just when a stone hit my front glass....

3. Last but not least, any news on Wifi station mode ? Eventually integration with Synology would be already too much to ask, right ? ;-) (https://www.synology.com/en-us/compatibility/camera)

Thank you.

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

Do you use the original car charger and cables? Do you power up the dashcam with the USB port on the dashcam bodyside? Could you please set it to low bitrate and unplug the rear cable to test if it still overheats?

We suggest updating the firmware to V1.2 to see if the dashcam can record and overwrite old clips normally.

Following is the firmware updating instruction:
VIOFO Firmware Update Guide Step-by-Step - VIOFO Official Website

About the Wi-Fi Station Mode of the A139, we have made a firmware and android app for testing. You can get more details from this blog: https://bit.ly/3w7jx4v

Attachments

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
thank you for such prompt feedback. I'm using original hardwire kit https://www.viofo.nl/en/products/viofo-hardwire-kit-voor-viofo-a139-2ch-en-a139-3ch.
I will test with lower bitrate and disconnected rear cam - I was now removing out the SDCARD and almost can't hold it in my hands (it was in parking mode)

Thank you for testing firware, that don't include 1.2 changes, right ?
The firmware updating may help fix the issues about not recording and RO file clips are overwritten.

Waiting for the results.

sharkys

I installed the 1.2 version, not yet the Wifi test version and I tested low bitrate setting with rear cam disconnected but I can't see difference (didn't measure it yet, as even the outside conditions are changing, it's just based on touching by hand). Prior to settings change, last time I measured temperature of A139 it was about 58C...
Are such temperatures standard please ? The dashcam works fine but I don't like the fact I can't even hold in my hands the SDcard when I pull it back...
Don't forget that it's 3 channel cam, shouldn't I disconnect even internal crew cam together with rear ?
Shall I try different SD card, can that have some effect maybe ?
Anything else I can try, eg. measuring voltage going from the original hardwire kit etc?

Not sure if anything from above make sense, I would appreciate also some feedback from other users on their A139 temperatures...

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
I installed the 1.2 version, not yet the Wifi test version and I tested low bitrate setting with rear cam disconnected but I can't see difference (didn't measure it yet, as even the outside conditions are changing, it's just based on touching by hand). Prior to settings change, last time I measured temperature of A139 it was about 58C...
Are such temperatures standard please ? The dashcam works fine but I don't like the fact I can't even hold in my hands the SDcard when I pull it back...
Don't forget that it's 3 channel cam, shouldn't I disconnect even internal crew cam together with rear ?
Shall I try different SD card, can that have some effect maybe ?
Anything else I can try, eg. measuring voltage going from the original hardwire kit etc?

Not sure if anything from above make sense, I would appreciate also some feedback from other users on their A139 temperatures...
What card do you use? Could you please try another card to test? We always recommend a high-quality UHS-I U1/U3 or above rating microSD card with 64G or 128G of Samsung, VIOFO, or Transcend high endurance series.

If you power up the dashcam by plugging the USB cable into the GPS module, we suggest you plug it into the USB port on the camera body side.

Please turn off the Wi-Fi and see if it's better.

sharkys

Thank you for quick reply, I'm using currently Sandisk Extreme A2 V30, let me try another one...

As for USB cable, what do you mean exactly please, there is only one USB-C connector, right ? Anyway, I'm using the one under nr. 6.

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
Thank you for quick reply, I'm using currently Sandisk Extreme A2 V30, let me try another one...

As for USB cable, what do you mean exactly please, there is only one USB-C connector, right ? Anyway, I'm using the one under nr. 6.

View attachment 1062
Sorry for the late reply. I'd like to know if you use the original car charger. Is it still overheating after trying another card? Please remember to format the card before using it.

Here is the formatting instruction: How to format the microSD card? : VIOFO Support Center

I'm using the one under nr. 6.
Yeah, this is correct. Actually, I suppose it's normal for A139 to overheat. Because it has three channels. And the internal temperature of the car could be much higher. I suggest you use low-bitrate recording when you park the car. Because low-bitrate recording is more stable.

Please let me know the result of trying another card.

sharkys

Using new SDCard didn't influence the temperature, yesterday I have measured 60C exactly on the spot, where is the label Viofo/A139. The dashcam is working just fine but I'm not happy to see it is reaching so high temperature even if outside temp is like 22C.... I hope there is no risk of fire or something. Also I'm using now Low Bitrate, it didn't help much.

Can someone confirm their standard operational temperatures on A139/3ch please ?

iscom22

Using new SDCard didn't influence the temperature, yesterday I have measured 60C exactly on the spot, where is the label Viofo/A139. The dashcam is working just fine but I'm not happy to see it is reaching so high temperature even if outside temp is like 22C.... I hope there is no risk of fire or something. Also I'm using now Low Bitrate, it didn't help much.

Can someone confirm their standard operational temperatures on A139/3ch please ?
I had a similar problem with a Nextbase when in Spain 27c so I directed the AirCon to windscreen which seem to cool it down. Having just bought and fitted the A139 I did find it was getting a little hot even after less than 1 hour guess only time will tell. Without looking does it have vents on the 139?

mrpk

Yea same issue here, not even plugged in to car, just testing using the usb-c cable, the card is getting super hot, close to 60 or more and impossible to hold in hand without getting burned. Is this a design issue with these cameras ? I hate to come back to my car in the morning seeing things on fire etc. Is there a thermal shutdown enabled on these cameras ?