Enabled wi-fi affects the recording

robercom

I have A129 Camera with GPS, 1.5 firmware
Why the recorded files differ in size and quality depending on whether the wi-fi is on or off.
Has anyone noticed the difference.

bloo890

If wifi is enabled it decreases the bitrate slightly. It's best to only turn it on when you need it

bloo890

How did you see the bitrate was different? I have some questions over the quality of my recordings and would like to test this out.

I remember seeing a post on reddit about it so it wasnt confirmed by me. But i think if you have two video clips; one with wifi and one without. Then you can use VLC player to view the bitrate when you play the clips and compare them

peachumz

I just did some tests and have raised the issue with VIOFO because it looks like when Wifi is turned ON:

1) the bitrate and file sizes are half of when Wifi is turned OFF, but I'm struggling to see much difference in the quality of the video, (there are artifacts in both).
2) the Front camera runs around 8Mbps, but the rear runs at 7Mbps and so the the file sizes are also different.

Wifi being on most certainly causes the A129 to operate differently and Viofo need to give direction on this.

bloo890

I just did some tests and have raised the issue with VIOFO because it looks like when Wifi is turned ON:

1) the bitrate and file sizes are half of when Wifi is turned OFF, but I'm struggling to see much difference in the quality of the video, (there are artifacts in both).
2) the Front camera runs around 8Mbps, but the rear runs at 7Mbps and so the the file sizes are also different.

Wifi being on most certainly causes the A129 to operate differently and Viofo need to give direction on this.

I think thats the intended behavior. Its good you raised a ticket so they can clarify. But i think the camera cant handle having wifi on and recording both cams all at once so it probably reduces the bitrate a bit.

peachumz

I think thats the intended behavior. Its good you raised a ticket so they can clarify. But i think the camera cant handle having wifi on and recording both cams all at once so it probably reduces the bitrate a bit.
I suspect the same, but 50% loss of bitrate seems a bit harsh. Perhaps its because its sending two streams, one to file and one to live feed and so it sends 50% to each stream. For now I can just turn off Wifi if I need the full bitrate.

robercom

It is a pity that this works, you have to constantly change modes. Wi-Fi is a nice option, you can view the image in the car from the home.