High noise video on front A129 plus duo (16GbeMMC)

RaduF

Hello all,
Hope you're all doing well.

As the title indicates I have high noise video on night conditions especially on the front camera.
I have the CPL filter on and I'm using an SanDisk Extreme 256Gb V30 A2.

Here you have a picture with WDR and another without. Without seems to be better but still very grainy and blurry.
I also added the video data. (I'm using high bitrate).

Any suggestions on how to lower the noise will be much appreciated?

Thanks you all in advance.

Best regards,

Attachments

ursamajor

Don't use WDR ON, especially at night. That feature it's only marketing. Maybe if they implement HDR, the picture will look better than with WDR ON, but still better w/o WDR or HDR ON. HDR only helps to read plate numbers in the night, but also deteriorate the image quality.
Use 21:9 format, highest bitrate and 30 not 60 fps, especially at night. That means double the number of frames and almost the same bitrate. So, the compression is higher, already high gain (ISO) of the camera because of low light, as well the noise.
You maybe could also lower the noise by decresing the exposure. You can do it by adjusting exposure compensation EV value to -1/3 or even -2/3. But be aware... that will diminish the whole luminosity of the video.
In a single frame the noise is, indeed, very high, but it's somehow normal. :) In dynamic scenes, in videos, things changes. Can you upload the video?
Look how my night (outside city) videos look, they're acceptable (but still low quality), giving the light conditions:

Last edited:

RaduF

Don't use WDR ON, especially at night. That feature it's only marketing. Maybe if they implement HDR, the picture will look better, but still better w/o WDR or HDR ON. HDR only helps to read plate numbers in the night, but also deteriorate the image quality.
Use 21:9 format, highest bitrate and 30 not 60 fps, especially at night. That means double the number of frames and almost the same bitrate. So, the compression is higher, already high gain (ISO) of the camera because of low light, as well the noise.
You maybe could also lower the noise by decresing the exposure. You can do it by adjusting exposure compensation EV value to -1/3 or even -2/3. But be aware... that will diminish the whole luminosity of the video.
In a single frame the noise is, indeed, very high, but it's somehow normal. :) In dynamic scenes, in videos, things changes. Can you upload the video?
Look how my night (outside city) videos look, they're acceptable (but still low quality), giving the light conditions:

Thank you a lot for your reply.
I will follow your suggestions and give it a try.
I would upload soon a video with the result.

In the mean time here are two short videos with the old settings:

Thanks again.

shadow

Don't use WDR ON, especially at night. That feature it's only marketing. Maybe if they implement HDR, the picture will look better than with WDR ON, but still better w/o WDR or HDR ON. HDR only helps to read plate numbers in the night, but also deteriorate the image quality.

While the difference is visible with the suggested settings, the amount of grain/noise it has in there is still unacceptable.

I have tried 1080, I have tried 2560x1440 with both WDR on & off and nothing looks good. The number plates are all over exposed no matter the exposure and it pisses me off. What a waste of good money. I wish I had invested in Blackvue Instead.

You can check out my videos on YouTube and you'll see what I am talking about. Bear in mind that they're all heavily edited using light settings but the result is still shi***. This was in no way an attempt to diss your suggested settings but simply a fact. I spent $225 to get this setup including the hardwire kit, CPL filter and the fuse adapters and this is not the result that I was expecting. Peace out

Here's the link to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DashcamRanger

shadow

Hello,

Can someone help me resolve this giant ball of glare on the rear camera?

It is extremely annoying and darkens the entire rear camera video. I can't see a damn thing.

Someone had helped me before with the front camera but I still can't see any license plates as the light is too overexposed, even though the WDR is off and the exposure is set to 0 on the front camera.

Can someone please suggest the best settings for the rear camera and the front camera so I can read the plates?

As of right now, I am running 1440p on the front (30 fps) and 1080p on the back with the highest bitrate and exposure is set to 0 on the front camera and +2 on the rear as it is really dark but then, the headlamps from the cars behind me ends up looking like a giant ball of light that blinds the entire screen. bear in mind that i do have the CPL filter on the rear camera.

You can also check out the videos on my YouTube Channel

Attachments

shadow

Bro,

Can you address my comment above, please?

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
Hello,

Could you also share a daytime video? I wonder about the daytime effect of the current settings.

DurgaPrasad

I am also seeing this high noise issue in my Viofo A129 Plus Duo front cam night footage. Surprisingly the rear cam is better than the front cam in night footage quality. The videos are somewhat better if I don't use CPL filter but I have to live with dash reflections. With CPL filter the quality is even more deteriorating and looks very bad for me.

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
May I know what resolution are you using on your A129 Plus? We would recommend 30 fps.