My next A129 Pro Duo purchase is (edit: NOT) on hold

PharAstro

I bought two of these a year ago. Despite a few minor issues (occasional 5-20 seconds of footage missing), I've been happy with them. And even the latest reviews continue to praise the class-leading image quality. So I was about about to buy a third one, but thought to check the forum first.

But this Wi-Fi issue seems like a show-stopper.

Viofo Support, please:
  • Explain the root cause of the issue. Is it a manufacturing issue or firmware issue?
  • Confirm you have a solution or not.
  • There are suggestions to upgrade to "latest firmware, which is v2.4". The firmware webpage says "updated Oct 19", but that version has been out for months. Please explain.
I won't buy a new one until there is some way to ensure it doesn't have the Wi-Fi problem. Unfortunately, my need is very soon, so I may have to go with another brand :(.

SWoMP

I am also very confused about this firmware situation... Unless I'm reading it all wrong it seems there are TWO V2.4 firmware kits! How is anyone supposed to know which is which and what they do or dont cover...

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
This problem has been fixed in the newest batches. you can purchase from our official website directly. If you're located in the US or UK, the shipping only needs about 10 days. And we'll hold a flash sale these two days on the website. There will be a favorable discount for you.

TominFaribo

Ok Just received my new Pro today Nov 28th how do I know if I received one from the newest batch or not. If I no answer I'm sending it BACK.

Stealther

I'm considering buying these dashcams but I don't want to buy one with known issues. Are all units affected or is this a small percentage of units affected? When was the correction in production made? If I order from Amazon am I going to get a unit with the problem?

PharAstro

Just an update from me. At the instructions of Viofo support, I ordered the camera on the Viofo website and indicated "latest batch" in the comments. I received the camera. I don't know how to tell if it is, indeed, from the "latest batch". But it has F/W 2.5 on it, and everything seems ok, including Wi-Fi.

Stealther

I received my order of 2 A129 Pro's and installed them. They do have v2.5 installed and the WiFi is semi-functional. I can confirm the 5G transfers much faster than the 2.4 but the transfers pause quite a few times so it might still take over a minute to download a 1-minute video clip. The WiFi connection will sometimes be lost during these pauses and you have to start over from the beginning. I've noticed this on both the 5G Auto and one of the other channel specific 5G settings (I believe it was 5G 60). I didn't experience WiFi with the older firmware so I don't know if this is an improvement to the older functionality or not but it is useable in a pinch but far from perfect.

JKLionheart

I received my order of 2 A129 Pro's and installed them. They do have v2.5 installed and the WiFi is semi-functional. I can confirm the 5G transfers much faster than the 2.4 but the transfers pause quite a few times so it might still take over a minute to download a 1-minute video clip. The WiFi connection will sometimes be lost during these pauses and you have to start over from the beginning. I've noticed this on both the 5G Auto and one of the other channel specific 5G settings (I believe it was 5G 60). I didn't experience WiFi with the older firmware so I don't know if this is an improvement to the older functionality or not but it is useable in a pinch but far from perfect.
I finally installed my A129 Pro Duo last week and am experiencing the same issue with 5G being reasonably fast but the transfers pause often, and sometimes resume, but more often fails which requires re-downloading from the beginning. It's frustrating because otherwise I'm super excited for this upgrade over my last dashcam. Also connecting to wifi is inconsistent, with it sometimes showing up, sometimes not, esp. if I enable/disable the wifi a few times trying to "wake it up". How am I supposed to know if I have a unit with wifi problems? I purchased this specifically for 2 reasons: the front/rear dashcam capability and for fast, reliable transfer of recorded video.