Open Protective Housing - Git2

Susan Rose

I use the aluminum skeletal housing, works good for Git2. A use an external mic into the helmet. The rt angle on the usb adapter is upside down, not a huge issue, though I am looking for either another usb-3.5mm adapter or a new usb mic. Otherwise, good system. I would also like to record video 180 which is not a feature on the Git2. yet.

ConwayBob

Susan, is that a housing designed to fit a gopro 4? I don't know the differences, but there seems to be aftermarket housings made to fit 3, 3+ or 4.

zzippyman

Hi Susan, I like the idea of the skeleton aluminium housing (and that red one looks great), but what holds the camera in place? I'm guessing it's only the larger screw through the hot shoe plate, but in your experience, does it stay firmly in the housing?

Tico[CR]

can you upload some photos with the Git2 inside the housing?

Susan Rose

Yes, the large screw on the left side kicks out a pressure plate of sorts that secures the camera in the housing. It anything do not over tighten. The fit is precise and even at high speeds I record no unexpected movement, nor find a physically displaced camera in the housing. Of course, I still use the tether! I have been in light rain, big wind, so far so good. So good! (I do not recommend the Bell Qualifier helmet.)

View attachment 92 View attachment 93 View attachment 95 View attachment 96 View attachment 94

Tico[CR]

awesome Susan... thanks by the way, have a nice day and pura vida !!

zzippyman

Wow! Thanks for your super quick reply Susan - your Git2 looks terrific in that housing! I'm guessing the even pressure of the plate on the left side stops any movement, thanks for confirming that. I did wonder if the front cut-out for the GoPro front LCD display would look odd with a Git2 inside, but it actually looks almost purpose made - nice. I'll try not to buy the Bell Qualifier helmet though lol. Have a great day - and cheers!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ConwayBob

I just pulled the trigger on getting one of those Skeleton Frame Cases, but I also purchased a 52mm Macro/filter lens set and a 52mm to 37mm ring adapter. There are instances of vignetting with a 37mm lens, that is not so common with a 57mm lens. Interestingly, getting an aluminum frame case with a 57mm lens mount is three times the cost of a case with a 37mm port.

zzippyman

I pulled that same trigger, considered the 52mm setup too but will see if there's any vignetting with the 37mm lens before I look into buying the 52mm adaptor.

zzippyman

Well I'm more than happy with my new red aluminium housing, 37mm UV filter and lens cap; it's well made and of good quality, fits the Git2 perfectly and holds it securely in place, feels reassuringly substantial/weighty and all functions are easily reached due to the GoPro4 frames' cutouts being in the same position. I've not found any instances of vignetting from the 37mm lens at all. If I have any concern, it's about how to protect the exposed rear of the Git2 when it's in the housing - has anyone found a solution other than buying the far bulkier case with the sliding back cover?

ConwayBob

I got mine in basic black. Here it is with a 57mm UV lens & a circular polarized lens. I have a ton of different filters... Neutral Density, Florescent, 4 different macro lenses, more filters than I'll really use. As for now, the only vignetting I've found is with the camera set to take stills. Otherwise none at all in video mode with video stabilization enabled. The set-up definitely adds some weight. It'll be interesting how this will have effect while on a chest or shoulder strap. I'm kind of concerned having it all sitting on top of my bike helmet... people may stare.View attachment 99

zzippyman

Ooops, update to my earlier message here: I HAVE found vignetting with the skeleton case and 37mm lens - similar to that shown by ConwayBob above - but ONLY when shooting stills. I haven't found it when recording video however, so it'll not be a problem for me as stills aren't my primary need for the Git2. I do like your setup though Bob, it looks....er....serious, you might be right about the stares lol :)

ConwayBob

Absolutely serious looking for sure. With it strapped to my chest harness, I now know how a well endowed gal feels with everyone staring a few inches south of her eyes. I've used it to shoot video and with stabilizing enabled, I've had no vignetting at all.

zzippyman

Definitely serious looking yes - and from what you've said I'd avoid wearing it around your waist... That said, wearing the chest harness would make me remember being led around shops by my mother lol. Did you find vignetting when shooting video with the 37mm lens and stabiliser on?

ConwayBob

I haven't used it with a 37mm lens. I just set it up with a 37mm to 52mm adapter & the rest of the kit I got. I haven't used the macro lenses yet, only the CPL & UV filters. I posted another thread about a problem with the external mic, & included video shot with motion stabilizing on at 1080P 60, no vignetting seen. Check it out.
I'll add that wearing the camera in the chest harness adds much to the video, simply by getting my hands & handlebars moving in the lower foreground. It's subtle, but doing so adds perspective & drama to the shot. Placing the camera lower also dramatically increases the perception of speed. If I had shot the same footage from on top of my helmet, the pace is much slower. Just a few inches in height makes a big difference. Plus, with the camera nearer to the center mass, it makes for a more steady shot.