Power bank and Parking mode setup solution (found !)

Mikl_C

Hello All,

I have seen many questions about using a power bank with parking mode. I have read numerous forums and seen countless videos without finding the right setup that would work. This excluding the Blackvue Power magic or the Cellink Neo systems that cost a fortune.

Also like me, you probably don't like the idea of risking having a dead car battery because your dashcam has recorded all night and day in your parking spot because there is a lot of movement in your area, at your place or at your job... Yes, I know, it's supposed to stop using the battery at 12.4V if so setup, but I was not willing to risk it.

So after a lot of hard thinking, I came up with a setup that works ! I tried it and works like a breeze.

The problem about a power bank are that they do not supply a 12V current, so you could not couple them with an HK3 power supply. But guess what provides 12V and acts like a power bank? Yes ! If you've guessed it, it's a... JUMPSTART Battery Pack !!

So this is how I set mine up:

1. I use an HK3 kit and fuse tap the yellow ACC in an ACC fuse. So that's lke all setups.
  2. Then I got myself a jumpstart baterry pack, that also provides a ec5 to cigarette lighter socket (or you could buy a ec5 adapter with cable, but I needed the socket)

1. I cut the cable to the ec5 adapter and connected a piece of electrical cable
  2. Live connects to the RED (battery+) HK3 adapter, Neutral connects on the car's body, together with the BLACK cable from the HK3.
  3. Now since we don't want to take the pack out every time to charge it, I used the cig lighter socket, connected it to a piece of electrical wiring; live goes on a fuse tap that goes on an ACC fuse again; neutral goes to the car's body, together with the other 2 Neutrals.
  4. To this I connect a cig lighter fast charge adapter that goes into the battery pack, and the loop is done.

I have fastened my jumpstart battery in the glove compartment where I can remove it if needed and use as intended in an emergency.

Now, whenever I switch my car on, the dashcam goes on "Live" mode AND charges my jumpstart battery. When I park and switch off, this battery takes over for the parking mode, and even if it runs out, no worries about starting my car as normal.

I hope this can help other A129 users that were having the same questions as me !

Reactions: KPK

Ormy

Good idea that. My solution was an AGM battery and some solar panels. Solar panels are hardwired in with a diode so the battery doesn't discharge through the solar at night.

Jimin

Hello All,

I have seen many questions about using a power bank with parking mode. I have read numerous forums and seen countless videos without finding the right setup that would work. This excluding the Blackvue Power magic or the Cellink Neo systems that cost a fortune.

Also like me, you probably don't like the idea of risking having a dead car battery because your dashcam has recorded all night and day in your parking spot because there is a lot of movement in your area, at your place or at your job... Yes, I know, it's supposed to stop using the battery at 12.4V if so setup, but I was not willing to risk it.

So after a lot of hard thinking, I came up with a setup that works ! I tried it and works like a breeze.

The problem about a power bank are that they do not supply a 12V current, so you could not couple them with an HK3 power supply. But guess what provides 12V and acts like a power bank? Yes ! If you've guessed it, it's a... JUMPSTART Battery Pack !!

1. I use an HK3 kit and fuse tap the yellow ACC in an ACC fuse. So that's lke all setups.
  2. Then I got myself a jumpstart baterry pack, that also provides a ec5 to cigarette lighter socket (or you could buy a ec5 adapter with cable, but I needed the socket)
View attachment 699

2. Live connects to the RED (battery+) HK3 adapter, Neutral connects on the car's body, together with the BLACK cable from the HK3.
  3. Now since we don't want to take the pack out every time to charge it, I used the cig lighter socket, connected it to a piece of electrical wiring; live goes on a fuse tap that goes on an ACC fuse again; neutral goes to the car's body, together with the other 2 Neutrals.
  4. To this I connect a cig lighter fast charge adapter that goes into the battery pack, and the loop is done.
I have fastened my jumpstart battery in the glove compartment where I can remove it if needed and use as intended in an emergency.

Now, whenever I switch my car on, the dashcam goes on "Live" mode AND charges my jumpstart battery. When I park and switch off, this battery takes over for the parking mode, and even if it runs out, no worries about starting my car as normal.

I hope this can help other A129 users that were having the same questions as me !
I'm going to try this with a A139 and see if it works! Thanks!

akraf

Based on safety i would avoid LiCoO2 type of battery and use LiFoPo4 battery that are safer for overcharging and so on.

Tam1978

Using a Jumpstart battery pack is a good idea.

Has anyone ever tried to leave off the charging connection to see how long it would run without charging? This would be useful to know how long before recharging is needed especially if you don't drive your car for a while. These days, there could be large gaps between car usage.

ViofoCanadaUser123

Is such a battery safe to use in a very hot environment like the interior of a vehicle in the summer? Or the opposite, freezing temps in the winter?

KPK

Hello All,

View attachment 699

It sounds like just what I am looking for, however, I have 3 questions. What make and model of Jumpstarter did you use? How much did it cost and how many hours of parking mode can you record with it?

JeffMD

Just a heads up, and this goes to anyone considering using battery packs that are li-ion or ni-mh based. Your camera is likely going to discharge the battery faster then you can charge it. Those 3k ma/h batteries from black box may appear like the worst priced batteries on the internet, but they use a different chemical tech so they can charge much much faster when supplied 12v from the car.

ViofoCanadaUser123

Just a heads up, and this goes to anyone considering using battery packs that are li-ion or ni-mh based. Your camera is likely going to discharge the battery faster then you can charge it. Those 3k ma/h batteries from black box may appear like the worst priced batteries on the internet, but they use a different chemical tech so they can charge much much faster when supplied 12v from the car.
I have been using the BlackBoxMyCar Bi-750 and BE-750 for many months now including over our very hot summer, and it has worked very well. The battery case stays cool. So far I have been using the cig-lighter to charge both as I drive an hour or two each day. As winter approaches, I will need to hook up the 2 ACC wires to get faster charging as batteries lose their capacity in the cold.

The Bi-750 has been discontinued due to issues sourcing a chip from a manufacturer but last I heard, they are trying to come up with a new model to replace the discontinued Bi-750. Not sure where that is at right now.