Problems with playback

nopeda

I recently used an action camera for the first time and can't get the playback to be smooth. The recording settings were 720P60FPS and the card is a Samsung 32 EVO Plus with a 1 inside a U which is class 10, right?

I've tried a couple of computers to playback. With drone videos in the past I've had good results using VLC media player but with this it's terrible. On my laptop VLC is useless, just frozen up. Using Windows media player it works but the video keeps freezing for an instant every second and the audio moves on so in short time the audio is way ahead of the video and of course the freezing sux.

The best results have been with my home computer using QuickTime Player. The video and audio seem to remain synced up but there is still that brief freeze every time the counter clicks off the next second. Is there any way to get it to all smooth out, or is it too late for that for whatever reason(s)? Whether or not, can anyone explain how to prevent it from happening in the future?

Thank you for any help!!!
David

Mattthias

I sometimes had issues when my monitor frequency was not set to 60Hz. But not in a way that playback was impossible. Maybe still worth a try.

Another option could be to reencode to another format? Have you tried any NLE? Davinci Resolve is for free…

nopeda

I sometimes had issues when my monitor frequency was not set to 60Hz. But not in a way that playback was impossible. Maybe still worth a try.

Another option could be to reencode to another format? Have you tried any NLE? Davinci Resolve is for free…
I don't know how to adjust the monitor frequency and didn't know it was possible. Also don't know about reencoding to another format. They're in mp4 now, but I've got other mp4 videos that playback with no problems. What is NLE?

Thinking about the other mp4s that playback with no problem I just tried one of the ones that are a problem with VLC Media Player and it plays back nicely with no freezing but there are some horizontal yellow lines running from top to bottom across the right side of the playback, with a couple of blue lines mixed in but fewer of them. Do you know a way of tweaking those lines out?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mattthias

Sorry, hard to say. Never had anything like that. Just unsteady playback because of the wrong frequency. Changing is easy with the driver of your GPU or also with windows. Right click on desktop, sth like monitor settings, adapter settings, monitor. Setting to 60Hz helped a lot.

NLE means non linear editor and Resolve is a color-grading program but also offers editing.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

Maybe even this cutter could help without reencoding. Really useful software btw:

https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut