Repairing a memory card that will not format in the camera

Bob R.

I’ve read the postings about SD memory cards going bad and not being repairable. It reminded me of older memory cards I used in a "hand" digital camera. One had to do any file deleting while the card was in the camera- deleting or adding any file while the card was in a computer or card reader would scramble the card and prevent it from being used or reformatted by the camera after that.

So when I somehow scrambled my 128gb SanDisk brand card, I really looked for a solution. I tried formatting via the Viofo menu. I tried formatting it using my computer disk commands. I could add and remove files from the card, but I could never get it to be recognized and used by the Viofo device. Then I found the website for the SD Association (www.sdcard.org), a business consortium of memory card manufacturers. They offer a variety of free card utilities. I downloaded their "SD Card Formatter 5.0.1". This utility was able to completely restore my SD card to normal and the Viofo camera was happy to then format and use it after that. Before you give up on a malfunctioning card, see if these people can help.

And it’s probably safest to simply copy off any video files you want to keep to your computer, but use the Viofo camera’s Format command to erase. I think using my computer to delete video files on the card is how I scrambled it in the first place.

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Hello, Bob!

Thanks for your sharing! I believe that can help others a lot!

And you can also post this in the top sticky thread of General Dash Cam Discussion. It's specially made for you guys who would like to share valuable experiences. And also posting there could be easier for others to find out the solution.

Welcome to be the first helping post here: https://bit.ly/3w8lhuu