Unstable WiFi

BenEadir

Hi all,

Just upgraded an old DDpai Dashcam for the A129 Pro.

During set up at my computer I installed the latest firmware from https://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000105647-viofo-a129-pro-duo-dash-camera-firmware which went fine, chose the settings I wanted and connected the Android app via the WiFi setting no problem.

I then installed the dashcam in my car which is hardwired, started the engine and the A129 Pro fired up with the screen showing that it was recording etc etc.

I then tried to connect to it via the Android app but no matter what I try it won't stay in WiFi mode for more than 5-10 seconds and won't connect to the app. I tried 2.4ghz and 5ghz with the same outcome.

When I de-mounted the dashcam and brought it back into the house where it was powered off a usb plug (not from a computer) I was able to get WiFi working no problem and the Android app connected no problem but once again after re-mounting and turning on in the car it won't stay in WiFi mode long enough for the app to connect.

Also, it seems to be in a continuous loop whereby the screen comes on for a few seconds, then goes blank and then comes on again. This cycle seems to repeat without end, see this video - https://hiberniacf-my.sharepoint.com/:v:/g/personal/john_murray_hcf_ie/EWiUaaJFlWlJmH9oS3v2mY4BnfiJvss7SjcPl0aYLurl2g?e=SKvamn

Any ideas or suggestions what's going on and how to fix it?

Capture Your Action

My guess is it’s a power supply problem. I would try powering the camera directly. Try using the supplied 12V car adapter and Viofo USB power cable.

BenEadir

Thanks Capture Your Action. Are you saying that whilst the dashcam is getting enough power to turn on and record etc it isn't getting enough to establish a WiFi signal?

Capture Your Action

WiFi uses more power, so possible you power supply is running on the edge. By your video, I can see you not using the Viofo 3-wire kit, plus your using a USB adapter, which could possibly be making matters worse. Try powering with the included 12V car adapter and Viofo USB power cable.

BenEadir

Thanks. It's a pity VIOFO have chosen to use an antiquated USB Mini port instead of Micro USB or the newer standard USB C. MY car is already hardwired for Micro USB hence the adapter. I'll try powering from the included cable and see if that fixes the problem.