Viofo A139 not entering parking mode with OBDII power

carbonblackfun

I use a OBD connector which has a dedicated parking mode(accessory mode) feature and it works fine with my Rexing Dash cams(they enter parking mode just fine) but for some reason my Viofo A139 just wouldn't enter parking mode. I have updated the firmware, I park the car in a garage with no movement so the motion sensor is not being triggered to keep the camera running. I have tried constant power mode as well and it should have used the gps and entered the parking mode in 5 mins but that also doesn't happen (gps gets location with solid blue light).

I am attaching screenshots of my settings. I am pretty sure I have tried everything in the last few days and wasted over 4 hours changing the settings and testing. If anyone can please help me with what's going on or else I will have to return this even though I love the video quality and the form factor on the camera. I don't want to use the hardwire kit if that's the solution as it should work just fine with an OBD adaptor.

Attachments

mrpk

Ever figured out the issue ? I do not plan to use the hardwire kit and just use my car lighter plug as its always on even when ignition is off.

cat2devnull

This topic comes up from time to time.
I do not believe parking mode is supported without a hardwire kit. (see https://www.viofo.com/community/index.php?threads/odb2-option.27304/#post-41805).
The only way to reliably identify is the car is parked is by the loss of 12V on ACC.
It is not impossible to use an OBD2 port to achieve what you want, but it will be very hit and miss.
The main issue is that the OBD2 spec only has VCC (pin 16 - always on 12V) but does not have a pin dedicated for ACC.
Some manufactures place ACC on one of the spare ports but there is no standard for this. (pin 1, 3, 8, 9, 11, 12 or 13)
Also that line/signal needs to appear on a pin of the USB-C plug so the A139 is aware.
I have no idea how that is done (maybe someone from Viofo could comment).

I'm not auto electrician but I have hardwired 2 cars recently and it really was pretty simple. Took about 90min each.
You need a pair of fuse taps (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085MGRN1W/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3 - of course you can save some money if you know what size you need) and a multimeter will allow you to find the VCC and ACC ports.
Don't be afraid to give it a go.
Or just drop $100 to your favorite auto electrician. :)

Tenbroso

Hello Viofo Support Team,
I purchased the A139 3ch cam and connected it with a Remaster OBD2 connector with switch. The cam works just fine, besides parking mode. It doesn’t switch to parking mode after 5mins., as described many times, like above in this forum.

is there a specific reason this will not work? It must be a firmware issue, I guess. Since there is power, why shouldn’t it turn to parking mode if there is no GPS movement and 5 mins. are passed? What is the technical reason it demands a specific cable to achieve this?

I would appreciate to learn more about this, since I need to decide if to keep the unit or not. I cannot use the hardwire kit, so this solution with OBD2 cable is the best for me.
Thank you! BR