A119V3 Parking Mode (Short Videos)

ski-free

Hey guys,

Hoping you could help me out here, I have my camera hardwired using the 3 wire adapter plugged into the GPS mount but seem to get only 1-2 mins of recording out of parking mode. I have it set to 3 fps time lapse since I figured that would be the best way to see how long I can run parking mode. The camera appears to toggle in and out of parking mode perfectly fine when the key (technically "keyless button") is pushed but won't record longer than a minute.

Where would you guys start troubleshooting this?

For the record I have a 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6 Limited, I am wondering if the car is seeing this camera drain the battery and cutting power to it?

Thanks!

Capture Your Action

So the camera is turning off or just stopping recording? If it’s shutting down, have you tried a lower voltage cutoff?

ski-free

It doesn’t appear to be a voltage issue as it seems to record the exact same length (90 seconds) before it shuts off. Every so often it will record for an hour or so but can’t seem to figure out what prompts it to work properly.

Could this be an issue of where I have tapped my yellow wire from?

Also I forgot to mention it powers off.

Capture Your Action

It doesn’t appear to be a voltage issue as it seems to record the exact same length (90 seconds) before it shuts off. Every so often it will record for an hour or so but can’t seem to figure out what prompts it to work properly.

Could this be an issue of where I have tapped my yellow wire from?

Also I forgot to mention it powers off.
When the low voltage cutoff is reached, the camera will shut down after 90 seconds. You need to select a lower cutoff or have your battery tested.

ski-free

When the low voltage cutoff is reached, the camera will shut down after 90 seconds. You need to select a lower cutoff or have your battery tested.
This is very helpful. I assume I can just check the cars voltage with a digital multimeter and make sure it’s above the cut-off right?

I’m starting to wonder if the HID headlights curtsy function cause a significant draw-down on the cars voltage as they stay on for 30 seconds after the car is off.

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Please check the battery cable connect with the right fuse or not. Need to make sure there is continuous power from the battery cable after the ACC OFF.

Capture Your Action

Check the voltage at the fuse you tapped into. Voltage at the battery posts will generally be a little higher than at the fuse box.
My wife’s new 2019 needs to use 12.2V or 12V (can’t remember which I set it to), due do all the bells and whistles that pull the voltage down rather quickly once the car is turned off.

ski-free

So seems the issue is still persisting, I’ve tried the following:

• Switched fuse tap location to brake light circuit (registered 12V with ignition off).
  • Measured voltage at fuse spot a few time, range was 12.19 to 12.4V
  • Lowered shut-off to 12.0V

I’m starting to think the car is disabling circuits it sees drawdown from. Does the camera draw power from both wires or just use the yellow AAC as a trigger?

ski-free

Yellow wire is just a trigger wire.
So theoretically, if Red is hooked to the battery directly the camera will function (unless voltage drops below threshold), correct?

I’m not overly keen on running 12V through the firewall of a new vehicle haha

Capture Your Action

Correct.
Keep in mind that the cutoff points probably aren't exactly 12.4, 12.2, 12, 11.8V. I have found them to be about .1 amp lower than stated. So 12.4V setting probably won't cut power 'til between 12.3-12.2V.

ski-free

Correct.
Keep in mind that the cutoff points probably aren't exactly 12.4, 12.2, 12, 11.8V. I have found them to be about .1 amp lower than stated. So 12.4V setting probably won't cut power 'til between 12.3-12.2V.
Much respect for your vast dash cam knowledge!

One last question, when the unit sees the voltage drop below threshold is it an immediate cut-off or is there some sort of buffer? Might help me determine if it’s the car or the unit powering itself off.