A129 Not always starting on power up

Paulfam

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else is having an issue with the A129 duo not always starting to record on power up.

I don't currently have a hardware kit installed so it powers via the usb/cigarette socket supplied plugged into the cigarette outlet.

I'd suggest it only starts recording about 60% of the time.

It is not a power issue and I have updated to the latest firmware. I did notice the record light comes on briefly then goes off when it fails to start.

I know this was always a constant issue with cheaper dashcams but hoped it was not going to be an issue on the A129.

I know the simple solution is a hardware kit and I might have to go down that road but that will require an auto electrician to install properly and probably an additional $200.

Interested to hear if it is a common problem.

Other that this I am very happy with the unit.

Thanks

VIOFO-Swin

Have you used the original USB cable and tried increasing the boot delay?

creizlein

Yes, I do have the very same problem, usually what I do when i see it didnt boot up is unmount/mount it again from the GPS bracket.
it is really annoying...

Capture Your Action

Your 12V port is momentarily losing power when you start the car, which is why the light comes on briefly, then goes out (I assume the light on the 12V adapter comes back on once the car is started?). This messes with the startup of the camera. Try adjusting the boot delay in the settings.

creizlein

I have no access to view the 12v cigarette light as it is hardwired and hidden under the dash, I do have the boot delay set to 5sec, but i will try changing that and see what happens
Weird thing is that it doesnt happen every time, it just happens like 50% of the time. and its definitely not a wire issue

Capture Your Action

This is a power supply issue. There is probably a momentary drop in voltage when the engine is turning over. Some cars regulate the available power to some (or all) of the fuses, causing power to be supplied initially, then there is a small voltage drop, causing the camera to think it just lost power and shuts down or doesn't complete it's power on cycle. If it was solely a camera issue, then all the A129 cameras would be doing this and there would be a huge angry mob at Viofo's doorstep. Not saying that something couldn't be done in the firmware to help with the issue, but I'm not privy to what could be done software wise.
For now, your options are to increase the boot delay and/or use another power source. It sounds like you have hardwired a 12V cigarette port and placed it under your dash. If this is the case, then try tapping into a different fuse. There is probably some fuses that won't experience this voltage drop.

creizlein

Well, the same power source was working w/o issue for 2 years in the A119 early model, this started with the A129 and its boot delay feature, so you might be partially correct.
the power source is connected to the ACC position, so yes, of course that when you crank the vehicle there is a momentary lose of power while cranking, then it returns to normal, so basically ,
  1. camera gets power when key is moved into ACC
  2. camera lost that signal while cranking
  3. camera gets power again

But then again, that is how 99% ACC works on normal (at least pre-2010) cars, while cranking.

Question is why the camera doesn't turn on back again if the power is present, something in the firmware is making it....
(it actually never turns on, as the first time the key passes to ACC is by just a fraction of a second)

Capture Your Action

I've seen this issue with all dash cameras, so not exclusive to the A129. Different power requirements may be partly to blame, not sure. I'm sure firmware plays it's part, but again it's only a very small group of users who have experienced this issue, so certain cars electrical system seem partly to blame as well.
I would tap a different ACC fuse and see if that helps. Might be trial and error to find a fuse that doesn't lose as much (or any) voltage.

creizlein

I will start changing the boot time to 10sec and see its behavior, as the HK3 kit is underway and might also change, thanks for your help!

Paulfam

I have the dash cam plugged into a standard cigarette socket.

At the suggestion of the supplier I tried using a heavier grade USB cable but this made no difference. What has made a slight difference however is I purchased a good quality cigarette socket to USB adaptor rated for 3A. This has helped but not solved the problem.

I have played with boot times and it makes no difference. You are correct when you say this issue is not unique to the A129 however it is usually only an issue with cheaper dash cams, hence the reason I purchased the A129.

I'm sure a firmware upgrade could easily overcome the problem so I hope they are aware of the issue.

I emailed support but never heard back. I should probably return it under warranty as this would be the best way to get their attention. Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

Capture Your Action

Not sure if firmware could “easily overcome the problem” or not. If it was that easy, we would never see this issue, but yet I still see this issue across all dash cameras. Your camera would most likely function fine in another vehicle. Did your last camera have this issue with this car?

Paulfam

I have 2 of these camera's both connected the same way in different vehicles. I am aware of only the one vehicle having the issue. I swapped the camera's over and yes the issue remained with the same vehicle although I don't know if the issue is present in the second vehicle as I never drive it. I asked the driver and they said it isn't an issue but to be honest I'm not sure they would notice anyhow.

I guess the obvious solution is to hardwire them. If this is a common problem you would think there would be a simple plugin solution. It sounds like we just need to delay supply to the camera from the socket for a second or two. That's a pretty easy circuit to build. I might look into it.

Ibarry1212

Did you try plugging in something else to see if it works? If not maybe u might a new fuse.

creizlein

Update the thread with how you make out. It's always good to know how a user fixed their issue.
Just an update for the time being, I changed the boot delay to 10sec and now the problem is worst, basically the camera will never start up, out of 5 days using it it booted correctly just once, so thats worst
I will try now to change it to 0sec delay and see its behavior, at least its good to see its behavior varing from setting to setting. clearly its related to this and the fact that the power is lost during crank i bet.

Solution might be finding a power source that gets powered with ACC on but doesn't go away while cranking the car

creizlein

WiFi is ON on all the tests, should I disable it and compare its behavior ? didnt know that would make any diff

Capture Your Action

With WiFi on, the bitrate is cut in half, lowering the image quality. That alone is good enough reason to leave WiFi off when not in use. There have been a few users who have experienced various odd issues that appear to go away when WiFi is turned off. I haven't seen this be the case with an issue like yours, but couldn't hurt to try.

term2k

Hi,
I have A129 duo with HK3 hardwire kit installed and also facing the same issue - it does not power-up in about 10-20% of cases.
I connected it without using constant power 12V so it should turn on as soon as the ignition is on.
I tried different boot delay values but it does not help too much so I have no better ideas than just wait for next firmware ...