A129 plus duo poor image quality with rear camera

balloon

I have the a129 plus duo, and the front camera is perfect, nice clear, sharp picture.
The rear camera is poor quality. It's blurry, poor color, not in focus, no real detail.
I got the polarizing lens filter and was hoping it would help, but it still looks bad. Any advice?

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

I'd like to know when did you buy the A129 Plus. Did you ever tear off the film of the rear cam?

Could you please upload a video clip of the rear cam to WeTransfer? That can help us to know the problem.

balloon

Hello,

I bought the cameras about a week ago. Yes I just double checked and the film is off the camera lens. Also, the lens is clean and the window glass is clean. You will notice that even when the car behind me is very close, you still can't read it's license plate.

I have included a video clip from the rear camera and front camera for comparison. The rear camera is recording at 30 fps,1080p, 18,000 kbps

Attachments

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

I bought the cameras about a week ago. Yes I just double checked and the film is off the camera lens. Also, the lens is clean and the window glass is clean. You will notice that even when the car behind me is very close, you still can't read it's license plate.

I have included a video clip from the rear camera and front camera for comparison. The rear camera is recording at 30 fps,1080p, 18,000 kbps

Can you help to test if the video quality is OK if the outside temperature is lower? We need to check if the rear camera loose focus due to the heating.

Waiting for the result!

Last edited:

balloon

Yes, The temperature here has been very hot, around 100 degrees F.

How low should the temperature to be when I test again?

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, The temperature here has been very hot, around 100 degrees F.

How low should the temperature to be when I test again?
You can use the car air conditioner to set a low degree, around 42 - 66 degrees F

balloon

Okay, today it is much cooler outside and I have my air conditioning on. The video looks the same to me. Here are some screenshots.
What do you think the problem is?

Attachments

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, today it is much cooler outside and I have my air conditioning on. The video looks the same to me. Here are some screenshots.
What do you think the problem is?
Do you use the matching original rear cable? Please check the rear cable connection and if the CPL filter is installed well.

You can also do a troubleshoot if you have a patch cable that can replace the rear cable.

If the above ways don't work, please let me know in the thread. We'll send you a replacement rear cable.

Last edited:

balloon

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes I am using the original cable. I checked the connections and checked the filter and everything is installed correctly. I don't have any other cables to experiment with. Do you have samples of what the video looks like when functioning normally?

Anyway, if you think a new cable would fix it, then please send one and I will hook it up and test it.

Thanks again.

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes I am using the original cable. I checked the connections and checked the filter and everything is installed correctly. I don't have any other cables to experiment with. Do you have samples of what the video looks like when functioning normally?

Anyway, if you think a new cable would fix it, then please send one and I will hook it up and test it.

Thanks again.
Hello,

Seeing the video of the rear cam, my colleagues and I discussed it. Because the rear cam's resolution is 1080P which is lower than the 1440P of the front cam. We reckon the image qualify as normal. And the unclear plates may be caused by the super sunny weather with strong sunshine. As well as, that also could be related to the settings of HDR and EV.

You can adjust the settings to see if the rear cam can reach your satisfying image qualify. And also please check if the rear car window is covered dust and clean it if it is.

If all these are done and useless, we will send you a rear cable to test:D

balloon

Okay, I will try different settings and see if I can get a better picture. (As I stated earlier, my window is clean and camera lens is clean.)
I'm positive that 1080p should look better than this. Maybe I'll try the front cam at 1080p also and see how it looks.

Do you have any video from one of these rear cams for reference? I'd like to see what kind of quality I should expect.

Thanks. I'll let you know how the settings work out.

balloon

So, I tried different settings and compared the front camera 1080p with the rear camera. The front camera does have slightly better image quality with the same settings.

I tried adjusting the brightness and bitrate and got the picture to be slightly better than it was.

I've come to the conclusion that part of the problem with the rear camera is the rear window is more slanted and not as vertical as the front window, so the reflections are worse and the picture is more distorted because of the lower angle of the glass. Also, I've got the rear window defogger lines that interfere slightly.

Anyway, the front camera is great, the rear is not too bad. Thanks for your help. I'm pleased with the setup and software and app. It has been performing perfectly so far.

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
So, I tried different settings and compared the front camera 1080p with the rear camera. The front camera does have slightly better image quality with the same settings.

I tried adjusting the brightness and bitrate and got the picture to be slightly better than it was.

I've come to the conclusion that part of the problem with the rear camera is the rear window is more slanted and not as vertical as the front window, so the reflections are worse and the picture is more distorted because of the lower angle of the glass. Also, I've got the rear window defogger lines that interfere slightly.

Anyway, the front camera is great, the rear is not too bad. Thanks for your help. I'm pleased with the setup and software and app. It has been performing perfectly so far.
Great job! And also thanks for your like to VIOFO! We'll keep producing good-qualified products and providing better customer service for you all who support us!

shadow

Hello,

Can someone help me resolve this giant ball of glare on the rear camera?

It is extremely annoying and darkens the entire rear camera video. I can't see a damn thing.

Someone had helped me before with the front camera but I still can't see any license plates as the light is too overexposed, even though the WDR is off and the exposure is set to 0 on the front camera.

Can someone please suggest the best settings for the rear camera and the front camera so I can read the plates?

As of right now, I am running 1440p on the front (30 fps) and 1080p on the back with the highest bitrate and exposure is set to 0 on the front camera and +2 on the rear as it is really dark but then, the headlamps from the cars behind me ends up looking like a giant ball of light that blinds the entire screen. bear in mind that i do have the CPL filter on the rear camera.

You can also check out the videos on my YouTube Channel

Please help

Attachments