A129 Plus Duo w/HK3, Camera freezes when enabling or entering parking mode

kbuck

I recently bought and installed the A129 Plus Duo with the HK3 kit and installed it in my car. Unfortunately, when trying to enable parking mode, the camera appears to be freezing.

Scenario 1: enabling Parking Mode:
  1. Plug in the camera and wait for it to boot.
  2. Press the "pause" button to pause recording.
  3. Press "menu" to enter settings.
  4. Navigate to the Parking Mode settings and enable event detection.
  5. Exit settings.
  6. Camera freezes. Timestamps stop counting and the red "record" indicator at the top of the screen no longer blinks.

At this point, the setting has been saved, but the camera is frozen and can only be unfrozen by unplugging the power and waiting for the capacitor to drain. Since the setting was saved, though, we can try to actually use parking mode...

Scenario 2: using Parking Mode:
  1. With the car started, plug in the camera and wait for it to boot.
  2. Turn the car off and wait for the camera to exit driving mode.
  3. "Rec" LED light starts blinking, as if it was powering down.
  4. Camera never enters parking mode and is now frozen. "Rec" LED will continue blinking, but timestamps shown on the screen will not update, and the "record" indicator on the screen no longer blinks. The screen stays on until the device is unplugged.

The camera appears to function fine if parking mode is disabled. Also, the "scenario 1" issue still happens even if the camera is connected to the cigarette lighter power adapter (not the HK3 kit).

Based on some other threads, I checked to make sure I have WiFi turned off; it is off.

I tried 2 different SD cards, it happens with both a new Sandisk Max Endurance 128GB model (also tested as working in h2testw) and an old 32GB Samsung card I had laying around.

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
Hello,

Please try different ways to power the dashcam, such as directly through the USB port on the camera body side.

Or try to reload the firmware, and then default the settings and reset the dashcam. Please remember the SD card first in the dashcam.

kbuck

I discussed this directly with VIOFO support, the problem ended up being a defective camera. Parking mode works fine after receiving the RMA replacement.