A129 pro 4K unreadable license plates after a few months

vortex19

Hello,
My a129 pro 4 k (only front) with CPL, had perfect picture and very sharp stills when pausing a video...the first months after that always and on any setting blurry license plates.
Same settings 4k ,30FPS, no WDR, no WIFI, bitrate high, no parking mode , i tried also 1080P, 60FPS no avail, i upgraded the firmware to 2.4, and i got the feeling it was since than things went bad..
It feels like only in the center the lens is sharp
I have 3 other viofo's all 119 V3 they have a better image as the 4K, very sad for that price..

Is there any solution or go back to the initial first firmware ?

Thanks
John

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

We suggest you unplug the rear cable to test if this is caused by the rear cam.

You can also try setting the resolution to 2K and see if it became normal.

Please tell us your dashcam's initial firmware if you remember it. We can give you the firmware to help you test.

vortex19

Hello,

We suggest you unplug the rear cable to test if this is caused by the rear cam.

You can also try setting the resolution to 2K and see if it became normal.

Please tell us your dashcam's initial firmware if you remember it. We can give you the firmware to help you test.
Hello,
Thanks for your fast reply.
I only use the A129 pro as a stand alone cam, no other connected, (there is a Viofo A119 V3 in the back)
The initial firmware number i can't remember, but I have bought it new from the Viofo dealer in the Netherlands in November 2020
I have tried the 2 K setting, its the same also on lower bitrate, no wifi used, the SD card was also brand new Sandisk High Endurance 128 Gb
Also tried without the CPL filter but than i have reflections from the dashboard

If you could give me some older firmware for this model i could test it and send you some samples of the video in different settings.
Thanks in advance !

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Could you please share a video with us? You can upload it to WeTransfer.

Do you use the original cable and car charger? Do you power the dashcam directly through the camera body or the Gps module?

We suggest you try using a power bank to power up the dashcam.

vortex19

Hello,
I power the unit with the hard wire kit trough the GPS module, i doubt that it has to do with interference on the power entrance, but ok i will try the next video's with the power bank and directly on the unit.
I will also test the power supply with my scoop so we can see if there is any noise or interference on the 5 volt coming from the HK3.
It was in my previous car just the same problem , so..

The thing is if you see the video there is clearly a circle in the middle which is sharp, out of this circle it is blurry like you use a wrong eyeglass , very strange if this comes from the software....
I will be back with a few video's later i guess 4k at 30 FPS and bitrate high, and one on 1440 at 60FPS both no sound , no GPS, no WDR, no Wifi 1 minute long is that ok ?

Thanks already

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
I will be back with a few video's later i guess 4k at 30 FPS and bitrate high, and one on 1440 at 60FPS both no sound , no GPS, no WDR, no Wifi 1 minute long is that ok ?
The video clips that include the issues you mentioned above would be better.

vortex19

Hey there,
I made a few video's and also made an account on "we transfer" but now what ? where to send or how to share, i can share them also via my google drive if you like

thank you

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Hey there,
I made a few video's and also made an account on "we transfer" but now what ? where to send or how to share, i can share them also via my google drive if you like

thank you
You may could post the uploading page's link here.

vortex19

Hello,
So posted the links in my previous post , both are links to my google drive, i did notice that the GPS still works when the power cable is in the unit itself, hope that does not change anything

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
Hello,
So posted the links in my previous post , both are links to my google drive, i did notice that the GPS still works when the power cable is in the unit itself, hope that does not change anything
Please try to update this firmware. Here is the updating instruction: VIOFO Firmware Update Guide Step-by-Step - VIOFO Official Website

Could you please share a sharp video before it becomes blurry? And please try having a troubleshoot with the methods I posted before.

Waiting for your reply!

Attachments

vortex19

Hello,
Thanks for the firmware, i don not know if it is only the recent firmware you send me or the settings i found out.
All on 4K 30FPS:
If I use HIGH bitrate , stills are bad and unreadable
If I use MED bitrate, stills are a little better
If I use LOW bitrate, all is OK and readable...?? how is this possible, in the begining ( as new) I never went on LOW bitrate and it was as clear as now..
I tried the same on 1440 p 60 FPS , not so good on any bitrate..
So I am ok now during the day, because yesterday evening in a village with car lights on , nothing was readable nothing at all, strange no ?
Is it possible to receive the older or the very first firmware for my other Viofo A119 V3 , it has a bit of the same problem, not really sharp picture on 1440 60FPS
Edit here; my other 3 Viofo's a119V3 reacted the same on the low bitrate setting, nice sharp license plates even when crossing a car with the same speed 70Km/h , just what it should be, now we have to find a solution for when it is night, because everything is unreadable when it is dark.

Thanks for your help already

Last edited:

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
Hi,

Sorry for taking so much time on this problem! To help you solve it asap, could you please try to reset the dashcam?

If it still doesn't work, the dashcam may need to be sent back to repair. We'll also send you a replacement.

Last edited:

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
Hello,

Our engineer just watched the video you shared. He supposes the image quality is normal.

Sometimes, the image quality of a video would be affected by the weather or distance.

neutrinoP

I think I know what is causing the motion-blur: longer exposure time in lower environmental light. Thus the details are blurred when in motion.

SuperCurro

Hello,
Thanks for the firmware, i don not know if it is only the recent firmware you send me or the settings i found out.
All on 4K 30FPS:
If I use HIGH bitrate , stills are bad and unreadable
If I use MED bitrate, stills are a little better
If I use LOW bitrate, all is OK and readable...?? how is this possible, in the begining ( as new) I never went on LOW bitrate and it was as clear as now..
I tried the same on 1440 p 60 FPS , not so good on any bitrate..
So I am ok now during the day, because yesterday evening in a village with car lights on , nothing was readable nothing at all, strange no ?
Is it possible to receive the older or the very first firmware for my other Viofo A119 V3 , it has a bit of the same problem, not really sharp picture on 1440 60FPS
Edit here; my other 3 Viofo's a119V3 reacted the same on the low bitrate setting, nice sharp license plates even when crossing a car with the same speed 70Km/h , just what it should be, now we have to find a solution for when it is night because everything is unreadable when it is dark.

Thanks for your help already
There is a bug in the A129Pro, regardless of the bitrate configuration it always records at the same bitrate: 60 mpbs H264 or 50 mbps H265, similar quality. So if you see any difference it is because of the different light conditions.

vortex19

@SuperCurro
Thanks for your reply, i just tried a few days ago the same settings as on my A119V3 , so on my 129 Pro ( only front cam) the low bitrate and on 1440p 60 fps, and all is good readable now even passing cars at 70 km/h , only at night it is still very poor even at very low speed..

vortex19

Please try to update this firmware. Here is the updating instruction: VIOFO Firmware Update Guide Step-by-Step - VIOFO Official Website

Could you please share a sharp video before it becomes blurry? And please try having a troubleshoot with the methods I posted before.

Waiting for your reply!
Hello,

Is it possible to get the very first firmware for my A119V3 it should be V2.0 build :20200711 , I still have 3 A119V3 and only one with the firmware mentioned is ok to get a clear license plate, the other A119v3 have already newer firmware and the video with the same settings even same SD card is bad.
Thanks a lot in advance
John