Cant fit lens filter on to rear cam

peachumz

Has anyone else successfully used the polarising lens filter on the rear cam?

It seems there is a design flaw in that there is not enough clearance between the lens and the glass once the filter in put on. It needs a larger block to stick to the window to allow for the lens to have a full range of movement when the filter is on.

benkar

@benkar I noticed you are using the rear cam CPL filter and wondered if you had any advice as per my question above? Thanks.
I'll let you know. Filters have been ordered but have not yet arrived. I noticed that Viofo offers a new slightly modified form of CPL filters directly for the A129. I have unfortunately ordered an older type that suits the models 118, 119. So I hope they will go also. We'll see ...

Attachments

Last edited:

peachumz

I have the one with the rounded edges so its good to know they sent me the right one. The issue is that as per the first picture, when its attached to its base plate with the CPL fitted, it then has a restricted movement. Anyway I look forward to your review and if you have a vertical rear windscreen you'll probably be ok. Maybe for me adding another adhesive sticker might increase the clearance enough.

benkar

I have the one with the rounded edges so its good to know they sent me the right one. The issue is that as per the first picture, when its attached to its base plate with the CPL fitted, it then has a restricted movement. Anyway I look forward to your review and if you have a vertical rear windscreen you'll probably be ok. Maybe for me adding another adhesive sticker might increase the clearance enough.
My car has a small rear window slope (around 30 °), but I placed the rear camera on the cover of the third brake light, so I think the clearance between the glass and the camera is sufficient. When I get the filters, I'll know.
EDIT: So today I have CPL filters with rounded edges. For the front camera, the filter slightly reduces the extreme positions, but in my case it does not affect the camera's functionality. I have not tried the filter at the rear camera yet - it's in the car and it's terribly snowing :)
EDIT 2: I've applied the CPL filter to the rear camera and everything OK. Over time I can make some photos.

Last edited:

Systeman

Has anyone else successfully used the polarising lens filter on the rear cam?

It seems there is a design flaw in that there is not enough clearance between the lens and the glass once the filter in put on. It needs a larger block to stick to the window to allow for the lens to have a full range of movement when the filter is on.
Double or treble up on the sticky mounting pads. It will bring the camera further from the rear window.

Tip:
Position the camera mount first without the pads and put a couple of location marks on the screen/rear window. Masking tape can be used temporarily for this
When you are happy with that, place the pads on the window/screen first, removing any air bubbles trapped between pad and glass which can happen with a curved window/screen. Use a safety pin to pierce the pad to assist in letting out any trapped air. Be careful not to damage any window heating element. It's best to mount the pads between elements. But if you cannot, you can stick a 5mm narrow piece of clear polythene across the pad so that area will not stick to the element.
Then fit the (right way up) mount, then the camera. This way it looks nicer from the outside with all over pad-to-screen contact.