Feature request: WiFi toggle with Parking Mode

dqgs

Would it be possible to add a feature that turns the WiFi on in Parking Mode automatically, using 3 wire kit? And turn it off automatically while driving?

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
May I know you need this feature?
Tune on Wi-Fi in parking mode will use more power, and create more heating.
Normally we don't suggest to keep the Wi-Fi always on.

dqgs

I park my car close to the house and it would be convinient to review footage remotely. Now I have to think about turning Wi-Fi on…and then turning it off again so the bitrate doesn't suffer.

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
We will not add automatically turn on Wi-Fi.
But we will add Wi-Fi station mode, support camera to connect wireless route, so can download video with home PC.

dqgs

So instead of running an Access Point on the camera, the camera would run in a Client Mode, connecting to a home Wi-Fi? That is some good news.

Would this mode run automatically in the parking mode?

Alistair Parsons

If the car is near your house, would it be easier to use a CCTV/IP camera?

Station mode is great, they added it to the Git2 and it became an IP camera, and so I could drive my RC car around and see the footage up on my TV, streamed throught VLC.

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, can act like a IP cam.
But no plan to enable the Wi-Fi automatically in the parking mode.

Alistair Parsons

Parking mode is more for when people come back to a car that has been parked and notice damage. So you generally know something has happened, and so easy to just pop out the sd card to transfer files.
If you want to review a constant live feed, even a cheap IP camera would be higher quality than the 640x300 or so preview resolution. If the car is parked for a while and you want to see if anything has happeened just based on video review, as you would have to transfer each video over wifi, which would be slow. with an IP cam and DVR, you can quicly slide along the recorded timeline quickly from whichever recording device, phone or DVR.
A possible general consumer reason for auto wifi in parking is for people who are just popping in to shops when parked, taking a bit longer than planned and just want to quickly check on car, but as the wifi range is so short, there wouldnt be a lot of point.

mikemma

What I consider a very useful feature would be for the Viofo camera to connect to internet via a hotspot (available in the car) and send push notifications to the application on the mobile phone in case an event is triggered in parking mode. In this way you will know as soon as possible when your car is hit. I suppose this will require cloud integration for Viofo...

Alistair Parsons

You can do this with tinycam pro app on android, easy when phone is on same network, if using mobile hotspot and you want to access remotely, trickier because of port forwarding being needed, There would be very large drain on the camera. If the car is being monitored at your house, motio detection from an IP cam would be easier, if you want it portable for where ever you park the car, having a spare phone in the car running tinycam and using tasker to send alerts to anotehr phone is possible. which ive done with Git2

mikemma

Hi Alistair. I was thinking on something similar with a spare phone with internet (as I see the viofo app cteates a VPN so the phone can be connected wirelessly to the camera but also connected at the same time to internet. Then, I can access remotely the spare phone from my phone (via tinycam pro or, not so great, team viewer with quick support).
The only missing part here is how does the spare phone knows when an event is detected by the camera since there is no push notification from the camera via wifi. The only things that spare phone can detect may be some icons appearing in the live video and an audible beep from the camera when it starts recording the event.
But it will be a little tricky to constantly monitor with the spare phone the audio inside the car and make sound recognition with a known beep sample.
Blackvue 750s has this push notification over the clound in case of event.

Of course, ideally would be for the spare phone to automatically save the live view of the camera in case the person whi is hitting your car see you have a camera which recorded him, brakes the window and steal the camera - in this way you still have the live view recorded on the spare phone hidden somewhere nobody will find.
But I believe this can be a separate topic...

Alistair Parsons

What would be ideal is if the viofo app ( and gitup app for that matter) could send broadcast intents on motion detection, or other situations. so that tasker could react accordingly, is play sound, send txt message etc.

If the viofo has an rtsp stream, like the gitup cameras, then you wouldnt need the viofo app at all, the tinycam app just receives the rtsp stream, and acts accordingly, you can upload to dropbox/tinycam cloud.google drive when there is an incident, so it wouldnt need constant monitoring.
main thing is constant power to phone/A129. If the car was parked near a house, then this can be done inside the premises.

tinycam can link in with tasker...

mikemma

That sounds feasible, at least from my point of view. I hope viofo team will consider this new feature.

Leonauto

But we will add Wi-Fi station mode, support camera to connect wireless route, so can download video with home PC.
Please, can you clarify if there is any news on the implementation of the station mode, when you can add it?
Thanks
Best wishes!