front camera freeze !!

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
A129 Pro Duo. Current firmware is 2.1. I just saw 2.4 is available. Please share the change log for 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4. I wonder if there are any changes relevant to the issues I reported. Thanks.
Hello,

Did you try unplugging the rear cable to test if the front cam would still freeze when the wiper swing?

Did you turn on the Wi-Fi and format the memory card? Could you please try setting it to 2K and unplugging the rear cable to test?

V2.4 is the latest firmware of the A129 Pro Duo. You can download the firmware file and learn about the changelog referring to the following link: https://bit.ly/2VunOCv

Here is the Firmware updating instruction: VIOFO Firmware Update Guide Step-by-Step - VIOFO Official Website

Attachments

dzyuba

No worries. I've got it.

And I notice you bought the dashcam from Blackbox Mycar two months ago. I suggest you contact them for a replacement. That would be much faster for you.

If you meet questions when contact with them, please tell us.
After two replacements from the seller, I am still dealing with the same problem. I just don't feel like shipping my camera from the US to Canada for a third time and being without the camera for weeks.

Is this a known issue internally at Viofo or are the three people on this thread the only ones that have ever reported such as problem regarding the wipers? Especially where I live, summer months like July average about 12 rainy days but can have more than 20 rainy days like this year.

PharAstro

So, just to refresh my original post. Installed A129 Pro Duo's in two different cars, back in December/January, both with Samsung Select 512GB cards bought from Amazon.

The same SD cards have been used since day one. At some point, I upgraded the F/W on both cameras to v2.4.

Although the front camera freezing occurred twice on one camera and once on the other in the very beginning, it has never re-occurred since in about 9 months. I live in Singapore. It rains quite a bit.

One issue that has been there all along, is the occasional "1 second front and missing back" video. This is rare enough that I'm not mad about it. My cards hold about 150, 10 minute video segments, and when I check the cards, I see maybe 10 of these 1 second files.

The other issue, that happens much more frequently, is a 5-20 second gap between videos. I think this happens at least once every a couple hours of driving.

I have formatted both cards once or twice during the 9 months. Formatting has no effect on the issues.

Capture Your Action

So, just to refresh my original post. Installed A129 Pro Duo's in two different cars, back in December/January, both with Samsung Select 512GB cards bought from Amazon.

The same SD cards have been used since day one. At some point, I upgraded the F/W on both cameras to v2.4.

Although the front camera freezing occurred twice on one camera and once on the other in the very beginning, it has never re-occurred since in about 9 months. I live in Singapore. It rains quite a bit.

One issue that has been there all along, is the occasional "1 second front and missing back" video. This is rare enough that I'm not mad about it. My cards hold about 150, 10 minute video segments, and when I check the cards, I see maybe 10 of these 1 second files.

The other issue, that happens much more frequently, is a 5-20 second gap between videos. I think this happens at least once every a couple hours of driving.

I have formatted both cards once or twice during the 9 months. Formatting has no effect on the issues.
512GB cards are not officially supported. Have you tried smaller cards?

wolrah

I have experienced the same thing on my A129 Pro Duo. I pulled my card yesterday to look through my saved videos and out of around two dozen clips five total segments from two different trips had this problem where the rear cam and audio worked fine but the front cam was frozen on whatever it was seeing when it was started and the OSD was overlapping itself. I unfortunately did not save the clips, nor did I make note of what firmware version it was on before deciding that updating it might be a good idea. I can say that it was installed in January so it was previously either running whatever firmware it shipped with or whatever was current in January, depending on if I updated it through the app when initially installed.

I will be looking out for this behavior in the future and will come back if it happens more.

The fact that it's creating valid video files containing garbage OSD overlays is very firm proof of the problem being upstream of the video encoder, so I am disappointed to even see the suggestion that the issue could be SD card related.

PharAstro

I fully agree that the fact the front camera file is actually there, on the card, not corrupt, and showing the overlay overlaying itself, is clear evidence that the card is not the problem. But explaining that to Viofo support was like talking to brick wall. I gave up. Luckily, this has been an issue for me in a very long time.

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
Hello dzyuba and PharAstro,

To solve this problem, please help to answer the following questions. Thanks!

1. After this problem happens, will the dashcam automatically return to be normal after recording for a period of time?
  2. Does the problem only happen when the wiper is swinging?
  3. What is the firmware version of your dashcam and what card do you use?
We recommend you disconnect the rear cam and turn off the Wi-Fi and then set it to 4K 30fps to do a test.

PharAstro

Hello dzyuba and PharAstro,

To solve this problem, please help to answer the following questions. Thanks!

1. After this problem happens, will the dashcam automatically return to be normal after recording for a period of time?
  2. Does the problem only happen when the wiper is swinging?
  3. What is the firmware version of your dashcam and what card do you use?
We recommend you disconnect the rear cam and turn off the Wi-Fi and then set it to 4K 30fps to do a test.
  1. Once the front image freezes, it remains that way until the camera is powered off. But the recordings continue. I went for a 1 hour drive once. he first few files were fine (front and rear), then the front camera froze. All the subsequent files (front and rear) were recorded for the rest of the hour. The rear files were all fine. The front files were there and readable and the correct length, but the image was frozen on all of them, except for the overlay. Everything is back to normal when the camera is powered up next time.
  2. For me, it happened 3 times, on two different cameras. In all three cases, the wipers were operating and front camera froze with the almost pointing vertically.
  3. These camera freeze events happaned with F/W 2.1. F/W was upgraded to 2.4 later.
  4. WiFi is always OFF. I use 4k 21:9 medium h.265.