HK2 or HK3

creizlein

I am using a Viofo 129 Duo connected currently to the cigarette, and I plan to upgrade into a HK2 or HK3 kit, which one should I get, considering I am powering the camera trough the GPS module? I saw that the HK3 ACC on/off detection doesn't work well with GPS module, but will everything else work as normal?

I plan to use the Parking Mode after 5 minutes of inactivity or so, no need for it to be instant

Capture Your Action

If your sure your not going to want the parking mode to instantly activate when the engine is shut off, then the 2-wire kit will work. I would still recommend the 3-wire kit though, as parking mode will be more reliable and there is no guarantee that Viofo won't remove the basic parking mode activation (waiting 5 minutes with no motion) in a future firmware update. With the 3-wire kit, power must be applied directly to the camera, not the mount. Camera/parking mode will not function correctly otherwise.

creizlein

But if i get the HK3 but still power it trough the GPS module, will the camera work as normal and maybe not just the parking mode? or the camera wont work at all.
Reason I ask is because using the GPS power supply is much slick and allows for easy removal of the cam, plus the cable gets better hidden

Capture Your Action

If you use the 3-wire kit, but insist on powering through the mount, then you will need to power the red (BATT) wire and the yellow (ACC) wire via the same fuse. Wire the yellow and red wires into the same tap-a-fuse. You should be able to power through the mount this way just like a 2-wire kit. You will lose the automatic/instant parking mode and I don't think the voltage cutoff switch will be functional (not sure though). Might as well use the 2-wire kit.

creizlein

That does makes perfect sense! it will just act as a HK2, thank you a lot for your explanation, i will get the HK3 and play/decide from there :)