Installation headache - rear camera cable too short

GilesP

Hiya

Finally got around to installing my A129 Duo in my Audi Avant. Almost. Front camera went in fine, as did the power wiring using the 3 wire kit, nicely installed by the relay box under the steering wheel, etc..

I discovered that Audi, in their wisdom, have glued the headlining to the roof of the car, so I had little choice but to route the rear camera cable down the A-pillar, under the trim below the doors (removing rear seats for access), through the boot (removing boot trim for access), up the D-pillar (removing the trim again) and across to the rear cabin light position.

The only problem is the cable is about 2ft too short. Aargh.

What is the length of the cable supplied as standard? I hope it's the shorter one..

Front camera appears to be working fine. Rear camera is back in the box for now. grr.

GilesP

The headlining is stuck enough for it to be ruled out as a method of routing cables. All the internal wiring for the rear of the roof (aerial and boot light) comes up the D pillar.

Guess I'll be buying an 8m cable.

Does anyone want a slightly used 6m cable :)

Capture Your Action

Yeah, 6M is standard in the box, but an 8M is available.

Most cars door gaskets will pull away (not glued), allowing access to a small cavity to route the rear camera cable behind the air bags. No need to mess with the headliner.

GilesP

Just ordered the 8m cable. A little put off by the 14-28 days shipping, as it'll be another month until I can get the rear camera running. :(

Bart57266

If you're willing for the short cable to be visble, temporarily until the 8m version arrives, just run it back there without trying to hide it. You could go straight down the middle of the interior (on the console, seats, etc.) or anywhere that keeps it mostly out of your way. I would avoid going over airbags, though, as they would turn the cable into a projectile during an accident. Also, consider unplugging it when parked, as a visible cable does point to the fact that you have camera.

Bart57266

I had the same problem when installing in one of two vehicles, routing down the pillars and under the door opening kick plates:

2001 Toyota Highlander: used all but 3 inches of 6m cable.
2006 Honda Odyssey: used all but about 12 inches of 8m cable.

GilesP

If you're willing for the short cable to be visble, temporarily until the 8m version arrives, just run it back there without trying to hide it. You could go straight down the middle of the interior (on the console, seats, etc.) or anywhere that keeps it mostly out of your way. I would avoid going over airbags, though, as they would turn the cable into a projectile during an accident. Also, consider unplugging it when parked, as a visible cable does point to the fact that you have camera.
I made the classic mistake of starting to run the cable before getting the full measure of it, it looked as though it would be ok. I was mistaken. I could probably have got it to work if it was just 300mm longer. Now I have 2ft of USBish cable flapping around on my dash as I don't have the time to unthread it just yet.

It's an A6 Avant, so no a small car in any sense.

benkar

I had a similar problem, but with a camera interface with a car radio display. The purchased cable was about 30 cm shorter. I did not know what to extend it. The CINCH cable cancels the signal. Finally I used a 3.5mm 4 pin jack male-> female. Maybe I can help somebody.

Attachments

nav2004

Bart, I will be installing it on my 2006 Honda Odyssey this weekend, do you have any pics of your installation. Where did you find a ground wire near driver sude fuse bix without removing the trim. I have narrowed down on fuse locations to use for ACC and Constant. To determine this using a multimeter I used a screw behind the trim on left side of dashboard. Even though it has pladtic on back, it has double washers so I am hoping to slide the C connector in between

For rear cam how did u take the wire to back and did you attach it to the windshield with some slack in cable for trunk lid open/close or you some how installed it into the roof nearby.

I had the same problem when installing in one of two vehicles, routing down the pillars and under the door opening kick plates:

2001 Toyota Highlander: used all but 3 inches of 6m cable.
2006 Honda Odyssey: used all but about 12 inches of 8m cable.

speculatrix

if you still have the old but wrong/short cable, I would be interested in buying it off you as I damaged mine.

Octogenarian

The cable used to connect between the two camera modules is a variation of USB 3.0 cable with the following specs:
2x Shielded twisted pairs (4 wires in total).
2 power wires
1 drainage bare wire
and externally double shielded...
In the attached picture you can see clearly all the mentioned wires and their configuration but drainage has been merged with the shielding (it is not my picture. I found it online) as it has no insulation.

If you cannot find the exact configuration of the cable you can use an f/stp version of CAT 6 (4 shielded twisted pairs) cable or a similar USB 3 cable. worst case scenario you will not use all the wires inside the extension cable and leave them as is. All you need to do is to chop the connector of the original cable and add the extension cable in between. It is going to be very meticulous and laborious job (connecting the small wires, insulating, shielding etc) but if you are slow and careful you will do fine. Contrary to VIOFO support and others who encouraged me to buy a longer cable I decided to extend it manually and did well.
Good luck

Attachments