iPhone to camera connection issue

MikS

My iPhone 11 Pro Max with iOS 13, 14, up to the latest 14.3 doesn't show dashcam live view when in a "crowded" Wi-Fi environment, e.g. near apartment buildings with dozens of wi-fi networks in the range. I have to drive away, e.g. to the lowest garage level of the same apartment building where there is no external wi-fi signal or to a remote parking location, to get a dashcam live view on the phone.
Viofo engineers, please fix this.

MikS

Does anybody else have this issue with no live view?
The telephone connects to the camera via Wi-Fi, no problems with that, but I have no live view when there are a lot of other Wi-Fi networks nearby.
I have this issue with firmware v1 (original, the camera was shipped with) and v2 (the latest) as well.

dashcalamity

I could see a really strong, high wattage wifi signal drowning it out. Not necessarily the number of wifi signals, but one interfering.

i_drive_a_lancer

I too have issues with live view. iPhone 11 Pro on IOS 14.2. It just shows a black screen.

I honestly don't think it's a wifi signal issue but the application. I get live view just fine trying with my old Pixel 3.

MikS

I too have issues with live view. iPhone 11 Pro on IOS 14.2. It just shows a black screen.

I honestly don't think it's a wifi signal issue but the application. I get live view just fine trying with my old Pixel 3.
I tried various iOS versions from 12 to the latest 14.3 on iPhone 11 Pro max - live view never worked near my apartment block, but works fine in other places with less dense Wi-Fi network. There might be just a single powerful network that interferes with camera's Fi-Wi signal like dashcalamity fairly noticed, but since you also have this issue it is less likely a single network interference unless you are my neighbor :)
I believe it's something to do how iOS itself or Viofo iOS App handles dense Wi-Fi signals as Live View works on your Pixel 3 in same conditions.

dashcalamity

Have a friend or family member install app on their phone and see if it connects to camera. Can always bring the camera into home and power by USB so you don’t have to take them to your car.
If other phones can connect, then you can assume the camera wifi is good.

i_drive_a_lancer

Try with phone in airplane mode or cell data off. Try both 2.4 and 5Hz bands.
I didn’t realize you can pick the bands.

But just tested with both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands, same thing, no live view. However also tried both bands with no cell data and was able to get live view working.

Weird, since both my Pixel 3 and iPhone is on T-Mobile and I didn’t have to do anything for it to work on the Pixel.

MikS

I didn’t realize you can pick the bands.

But just tested with both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands, same thing, no live view. However also tried both bands with no cell data and was able to get live view working.

Weird, since both my Pixel 3 and iPhone is on T-Mobile and I didn’t have to do anything for it to work on the Pixel.
Don't know if that matters, but I also use T-Mobile.
Apparently, we see an incorrect operation of Viofo App with iPhones. Maybe at some point, Viofo programmers will have time to fix it.

Capture Your Action

Don't know if that matters, but I also use T-Mobile.
Apparently, we see an incorrect operation of Viofo App with iPhones. Maybe at some point, Viofo programmers will have time to fix it.
I believe it’s an iPhone thing. Seems more common on the newer iPhones for some reason.

MikS

I believe it’s an iPhone thing. Seems more common on the newer iPhones for some reason.
It is definitely something to do with communication between iPhone Viofo App and the dashcam. We can only speculate about what exactly of two has a bug or not following Wi-Fi protocols properly. Even if there is something unusual with iPhone, do you think Apple will ever fix it? They probably haven't heard about Viofo dashcams. No offense, but I think Viofo is more interested in making their cameras work properly with iPhones.
The problem is not critical, but I think it's worth writing the workaround in Viofo's manual, so people know how to get Live View working.

Anton

I also experience an issue with Live View and have Sprint. Had to switch cellular data to 3G in order for Live View to work. LTE does not work with Live View.

RickyChang88

I have a old IPhone 6S. I just discovered that I MUST turn WIFI mode on the Camera on by pressing and holding the rightmost button on the camera.
then I can start the VIOFO Iphone App to "connect to camera" and then it will see the SSID: VIOFO-xxxx-xxxxxx connection and use the
password on the Camera screen.

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
I have a old IPhone 6S. I just discovered that I MUST turn WIFI mode on the Camera on by pressing and holding the rightmost button on the camera.
then I can start the VIOFO Iphone App to "connect to camera" and then it will see the SSID: VIOFO-xxxx-xxxxxx connection and use the
password on the Camera screen.
That's right how is the function.

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
I also experience an issue with Live View and have Sprint. Had to switch cellular data to 3G in order for Live View to work. LTE does not work with Live View.
We suggest turning off the phone's mobile data and choose 2.4/5GHZ in the option of Wi-Fi of the setting menu when connecting the camera's Wi-Fi with your phone.