IR reflect rear windows defroster lines, how do I turn off the IR?

Alistair Parsons

Most digital cameras and action cameras have an IR filter built in, as digital camera sensors are sensitive to IR light. So without the filter, you get extra natural IR light, which gives everything a pink hue. with CCTV cameras, they normally have a light sensitive diode, so when its daylight, they mechanically move the IR filter over the sensor, to get true colour representation, and at night, when they move the IR filter out of the way, they also turn on their IR LEDs, and set the colours to monochrome. The IR lens in the A129 is too small to have the space for a mechanical IR filter to move in and out. You can attach an IR Cut filter on top of it. Also if you can change the image to monochrome that will help.

Also if anyone wants to boost the nightvision, any IR light source will give additional effect, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flashlight-Hevoiok-Infrared-Handheld-Lighting/dp/B0711HVHJJ/ref=pd_sbs_421_22?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0711HVHJJ&pd_rd_r=a440253a-0e7e-4ad4-8cfc-209215e2bdcb&pd_rd_w=qiSZU&pd_rd_wg=JTGPy&pf_rd_p=7f9048ad-9bda-4493-8578-13e4eff8da65&pf_rd_r=733J2PR6A7QHKM8FRQC9&psc=1&refRID=733J2PR6A7QHKM8FRQC9

i made one up using 20 cheap IR leds and some resistors that connects to 5v usb power.

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
already bought the regular one on Amazon, returning the other one soon.
i don't get why with the IR turn off the camera cast that pink color. I own several surveillance cameras with IR lights on it and never encountered a situation where when you deactivated the IR lights would create any problem.
What's the color of the surveillance cameras, is it white and black, or colorful?

mikemma

What's the color of the surveillance cameras, is it white and black, or colorful?
For example, on this camera: https://www.amazon.fr/Somfy-Caméra-surveillance-interieure-Visidom/dp/B01AMVP0OC/ref=pd_aw_sbs_60_of_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01AMVP0OC&pd_rd_r=a6f89bdb-8323-43d3-a7b2-c48d581a7431&pd_rd_w=lAY4C&pd_rd_wg=DlAuL&pf_rd_p=1ceeb591-a558-4291-8bd1-05e0510f1759&pf_rd_r=Z1GBGY3THAH9HKTZG468&psc=1&refRID=FX3JKQBAPH89632AC365 the color of the surveillance camera is colorful, not black&white. It only turns automatically in black&white when there is too little light in the room (and in this case the ir leds are automatically turned on).

So it is clear that when ir leds are on (and this should happen only when it is too little light) we would have a black&white image, but when ir leds are off (e.g. during the day) then the image should be the same as from the front camera.

Alistair Parsons

No because during the day, there is no IR filter in place so you are getting all the natural IR light as well, the reason surveilance cameras are in colour in the day is becuase they have mechanically put their IR cut filter back in place, you can often hear the sound of them moving back in place.

Alistair Parsons

I think a simple fix is if viofo could supply a small cap/filter that includes an IR cut filter that people could put over the rear camera...

quku

I think a simple fix is if viofo could supply a small cap/filter that includes an IR cut filter that people could put over the rear camera...
so according to what you are saying the viofo camera without the IR lights on it have a IR cut filter. because that on does not produced any cast color.

Alistair Parsons

so according to what you are saying the viofo camera without the IR lights on it have a IR cut filter. because that on does not produced any cast color.
Thats correct, there are a lot of youtube videos of people removing the IR cut filter from cheap webcams, and you get the same pink view.

quku

Thats correct, there are a lot of youtube videos of people removing the IR cut filter from cheap webcams, and you get the same pink view.
so my question is why they didn't just add the IR lights to this one and problem resolved.

Alistair Parsons

Do you mean why didnt they add a mechanical IR cut filter to the camera? probably because of extra costs and space. Ill check with Bill....

quku

Do you mean why didnt they add a mechanical IR cut filter to the camera? probably because of extra costs and space. Ill check with Bill....
no I mean add the IR led lights to the one that has the IR filter on place like you said.

Alistair Parsons

no I mean add the IR led lights to the one that has the IR filter on place like you said.
The pink is because of natural IR light, the IR filter blocks IR, making natural colour, but it will also stop the light from the IR leds.
so as Capture Your Action says, would serve no purpose

However BIll says they might release a version next year than has manual IR cut filter that would fix these issues.

benkar

The pink is because of natural IR light, the IR filter blocks IR, making natural colour, but it will also stop the light from the IR leds.
so as Capture Your Action says, would serve no purpose

However BIll says they might release a version next year than has manual IR cut filter that would fix these issues.
I just do not understand why someone buys an IR camera primarily designed to scan the interior of the car and then have to solve these problems.

Alistair Parsons

I just do not understand why someone buys an IR camera primarily designed to scan the interior of the car and then have to solve these problems.
Thats the thing, the camera was arketed to protect uber drivers etc by watching the passengers , therefore you want night vision but if there is a bit of pink in daytime, it wont matter, they werent designed to point out the back window as a rear view camera.
for rear view you want the non IR type, or to mount it externally, if mounted externally, the IR leds wont reach very far and would be redundant for watching a vehicle with lights on, and if mounting internally, the the LEDs wont shine outside, and as for OP post, you would need IR cut filter.

benkar

Thats the thing, the camera was arketed to protect uber drivers etc by watching the passengers , therefore you want night vision but if there is a bit of pink in daytime, it wont matter, they werent designed to point out the back window as a rear view camera.
for rear view you want the non IR type, or to mount it externally, if mounted externally, the IR leds wont reach very far and would be redundant for watching a vehicle with lights on, and if mounting internally, the the LEDs wont shine outside, and as for OP post, you would need IR cut filter.
Exactly.