Issues updating rear camera firmware on A129 Plus Duo, need help please.

GreekWiz

So I bought one of these direct from Viofo because they were not in sale in Canada yet, and I have it installed, trying to update the firmware on rear camera (front went fine), but I follow the instructions I can't make it work.

From this page: https://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000117980-viofo-a129-plus-duo-dash-camera-firmware.

Please notice you need to upgrade the front camera and rear camera firmware separately.

Download and copy the FWA129S.bin, RearcamA129FW.bin, and RearcamA129FW.update to the microSD card (Please format the card as FAT32 file system first).
- DONE

Plug the rear camera and connect the front camera with an external charger, it will start to upgrade the front camera automatically. After the front camera upgraded, the camera will restart automatically. - DONE (with vehicle running using hardwire kit)

The next step is where I am having issues:

After the camera restarted, and the camera screen shows the live video for both the front camera and rear cameras, short press the Wi-Fi button(the last button), the screen will show "Send FW to TX...";wait for about 1 minute, you will see "Tx Start Update FW...", wait until this popup disappears, and then reboot the camera.

I "short press" (tap) the far right button (wifi) and it just rotates the views on the 2 cameras. If I "long press" (hold) the Wifi enables. Nothing I can do can get this firmware to take.

I confirmed all files are present, card is FAT32. I mean it worked fine on front camera.

I searched menus, all I could find is the firmware screen which shows front is updated but rear is not (all V1.0 but different dates)

Anyone else know what the hell I am doing wrong?

Do other Viofo Dual Channels update the same way? (Front and rear separately?)

Thanks for your time.

seecam

Tried to update mine today and had same problem. Front camera updated fine but unable to get the rear camera to update by taping/short pressing the wifi button. I am also using the Viofo 3 wire hardwired kit.

GreekWiz

Tried to update mine today and had same problem. Front camera updated fine but unable to get the rear camera to update by taping/short pressing the wifi button. I am also using the Viofo 3 wire hardwired kit.
I posted here, sent Viofo a message, posted on Reddit, another forum, and besides you, only one other reply.

Not happy with Viofo's "Customer Service" that's for sure.

One guy on Reddit posted the following, did not work for me, but maybe you can try and let me know.

"Hey, so I had the same problem and just figured out what went wrong with the rear camera not updating.
This is how it's fixed:
Don't connect the rear camera to the front camera yet.
Format the sd card. Copy the files over to the sd card. Update the front camera like how you did.
Then connect the rear camera to the front camera.
Stop the recording (since the recording is always automatically on, when it is on, the short press wifi button doesn't work). The recording is on when the Rec light is solid. When it is off, it's flashing.
Short press the wifi button. Now the "Send FW to TX.." should be on.
Wait until it disappears. Reboot the camera (turn off then turn on).
Now when you check the firmware version. both should show 09252020 updated."

seecam

Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't work for me either. However I did finally get it to update.
Here's what worked for me:
  1. I formatted a spare SD card (may not have needed to do this)
  2. Only copied the 2 rear cam files on the SD card. RearcamA129FW.update and RearcamA129FW.bin
  3. Powered on camera with rear camera connected and unit started recording like normal. (Did not stop the recording)
  4. Short pressed WiFi button and it began updating.
  5. Re-booted and firmware rear camera now showed 09252020
Hope this helps

GreekWiz

1. I formatted a spare SD card (may not have needed to do this)
  2. Only copied the 2 rear cam files on the SD card. RearcamA129FW.update and RearcamA129FW.bin
  3. Powered on camera with rear camera connected and unit started recording like normal. (Did not stop the recording)
  4. Short pressed WiFi button and it began updating.
  5. Re-booted and firmware rear camera now showed 09252020
Hope this helps
Thanks. I will try that.

Can I ask how big big the spare SP card is?

I am wondering if it's the size of the card that is the issue. I was trying on a 256GB, I think I will try on a much smaller one.

I remember having a Ford Focus not updating Sync because the card was too big. Once the update was on a small USB, it worked fine.

I will try that with your suggestion.

GreekWiz

I finally got it to work, and I FULLY think it's because I was trying to use a 256GB SD card.

I used a 4GB card I found, and worked first try.

So just a heads up to anyone else having problems.

Thanks @seecam, figured I was on right track, and when you said worked fine with a "spare" 32GB, it cemented it for me.

Let me guess, when you first tried, the card was bigger then 32GB?

seecam

yes, at first I used the 256GB card I bought for the camera. Just curious, did you put all 3 files on the 4GB card or just the 2 for the rear?

Glad it worked out

GreekWiz

yes, at first I used the 256GB card I bought for the camera. Just curious, did you put all 3 files on the 4GB card or just the 2 for the rear?

Glad it worked out
I put all 3. They are not big files.

We solved the issue I think (for next update), and anyone else that has problems.

Last edited:

chopchopth

Hi All - I just bought a plus duo as well. When I tried to update the firmware per viofo's instructions, I lost the ability to connect to the rear camera. Firmware is only shown for the front now.
As opposed to before the update, I can see both front and rear firmware version. Also was able to connect to the rear camera.
Please let me know if this is the same issue you experienced. I'm using a 32gb card.

Eagleman

Hi All - I just bought a plus duo as well. When I tried to update the firmware per viofo's instructions, I lost the ability to connect to the rear camera. Firmware is only shown for the front now.
As opposed to before the update, I can see both front and rear firmware version. Also was able to connect to the rear camera.
Please let me know if this is the same issue you experienced. I'm using a 32gb card.
I too just bought a Plus Duo. Left it hanging around for a week before I decided to test it out in my house first. Rear camera doesn't work at all.

After much tooing and frowing of emails between me, Viofo and the UK seller it has been decided that it should go back to the seller either to be repaired/updated, replaced or refunded.

This has been a very frustrating experience. I spent weeks researching different Dash Cams and watching YT reviews etc etc before deciding on the Viofo - only to be very disappointed. I wish I'd checked in here before buying it. It was a toss up between the Viofo and a Garmin 56 but I wanted front & rear. Perhaps I should have gone for a completely separate front and rear cams!

chopchopth

I too just bought a Plus Duo. Left it hanging around for a week before I decided to test it out in my house first. Rear camera doesn't work at all.

After much tooing and frowing of emails between me, Viofo and the UK seller it has been decided that it should go back to the seller either to be repaired/updated, replaced or refunded.

This has been a very frustrating experience. I spent weeks researching different Dash Cams and watching YT reviews etc etc before deciding on the Viofo - only to be very disappointed. I wish I'd checked in here before buying it. It was a toss up between the Viofo and a Garmin 56 but I wanted front & rear. Perhaps I should have gone for a completely separate front and rear cams!
Eagleman - Contact Viofo directly with the following email; support@viofo.freshdesk.com. Ask for Dane Ji. He got a reset sw program to fix the rear cam issue I had. Ask for the "ethcam folder and EthcamBootFW.update file". Mine works now.

Eagleman

Eagleman - Contact Viofo directly with the following email; support@viofo.freshdesk.com. Ask for Dane Ji. He got a reset sw program to fix the rear cam issue I had. Ask for the "ethcam folder and EthcamBootFW.update file". Mine works now.
Yeah done that already. Tried countless times, but still no joy. After installing the file on the SD card and starting the Cam, I short press the wifi button as per the instructions, then I get the message "Send FW to TX" but nothing happens. I'm supposed to wait a minute or two but after about an hour it's still the same which makes me think it's the cable between the front and rear cams or the rear cam is dead, or both.

Last edited:

chopchopth

Yeah done that already. Tried countless times, but still no joy. After installing the file on the SD card and starting the Cam, I short press the wifi button as per the instructions, then I get the message "Send FW to TX" but nothing happens. I'm supposed to wait a minute or two but after about an hour it's still the same which makes me think it's the cable between the front and rear cams or the rear cam is dead, or both.
Same here. That "send FW to Tx" was stuck forever. I thought it didn't work so reboot after about half an hour. Then it works. Maybe I had some luck there.

Eagleman

Same here. That "send FW to Tx" was stuck forever. I thought it didn't work so reboot after about half an hour. Then it works. Maybe I had some luck there.
From what you said before, your rear camera was working to begin with, mine wasn't. But before I send it back maybe I'll try one last time to see if I get some luck as well.

chopchopth

From what you said before, your rear camera was working to begin with, mine wasn't. But before I send it back maybe I'll try one last time to see if I get some luck as well.
Actually, I was in the middle of diagnosing the issue during my first post. You can scratch that. It was actually my rear camera that couldn't connect to the front. It sounds like your problem.

Eagleman

Actually, I was in the middle of diagnosing the issue during my first post. You can scratch that. It was actually my rear camera that couldn't connect to the front. It sounds like your problem.
:( Unfortunately, I did not have any luck! I'll be sending it back, ASAP! Very disappointed.

Eagleman

:( Unfortunately, I did not have any luck! I'll be sending it back, ASAP! Very disappointed.
Got my replacement cam and updated the firmware as per yboylu post above. Both cams working fine now. Viofo customer service was very good.

Now, all I've got to do is INSTALL the kit in my car! I'm in no rush though as in lockdown again and the car isn't going anywhere at the moment, plus it's too damned cold outside here in the UK.

Mk3stargazer

I am having problems with my rear camera after updating, I followed the instructions, formatted the Viofo card, downloaded the firmware, put it on the card, put the card back in the camera, powered it up, the screen stayed dark, red light was on, then the screen lit up and started recording but nothing came up saying Send FW to TX. Tried several times but nothing happens. It records fine apart from the rear camera films just blackness during parking mode, it's fine while driving. The front is fine in parking mode and driving mode.
What causes the rear camera to film just blackness in parking mode? How can I get back to the previous firmware?

Attachments