Maybe not such a wise purchase.

frankie52

I spent many weeks researching dash cameras to find one which suited both my budget and my environment, I live in a hot country, and having seen and read many glowing reviews finally decided on the A129Duo. I've installed it in the car and it works well from the cigarette lighter USB power supply but when I connect it using the HK3 ACC Hardwire kit it doesn't turn on. I have confirmed that I have 12v available and even attempted to power it from an external 12v power supply using the Hardwire kit but still it won't turn on. Note I am now trying with a second Hardwire kit and it still doesn't turn on.

The current firmware is v1.9 and I have attempted to update it to v2.1 using the Viofo suggested method but that has been a total failure.

Has anyone else experienced either of these problems, particularly the not turning on problem, and know of a solution? I would be grateful for any help resolving this.

I have contacted Vido support regarding the not turning on problem and their response has so far been ZERO.

frankie52

I spent many weeks researching dash cameras to find one which suited both my budget and my environment, I live in a hot country, and having seen and read many glowing reviews finally decided on the A129Duo. I've installed it in the car and it works well from the cigarette lighter USB power supply but when I connect it using the HK3 ACC Hardwire kit it doesn't turn on. I have confirmed that I have 12v available and even attempted to power it from an external 12v power supply using the Hardwire kit but still it won't turn on. Note I am now trying with a second Hardwire kit and it still doesn't turn on.

The current firmware is v1.9 and I have attempted to update it to v2.1 using the Viofo suggested method but that has been a total failure.

Has anyone else experienced either of these problems, particularly the not turning on problem, and know of a solution? I would be grateful for any help resolving this.

I have contacted Vido support regarding the not turning on problem and their response has so far been ZERO.

Update: I finally updated the firmware to v2.1 using my notebook rather than my desktop PC, obviously an issue there somewhere but the not turning on problem still remains.

Capture Your Action

With the car running, do you see a red led light inside the hardwire kits converter box? You should be able to see it through the vent slots.

frankie52

No I didn't see any lights and I found no mention of them in the Viofo information but have looked on YouTube and now see what I am looking for.

Octogenarian

Hi

Have you solved the problem? If not you need to troubleshoot by using a multimeter. This will allow you to identify the problem through a simple multistep elimination process. First test would be checking if the fuse tapping is done properly and if your battery has enough juice.

Test one:
  1. check there is a constant 12v or higher voltage on the exit that comes from the fuse tap plugged into your Constant 12v source
  2. check there is a 12v or higher voltage on the exit that comes from the fuse tap plugged into your Accessory source - Only when you turn on your switch / start your engine.

If test one is success - i.e. your device shows >12v voltage in case 1 and case 2 then go to the next step.

connect the 3 wires of your hardwire kit as required. I,e make sure grounding is properly attached to the car's chassis etc. Then you would be able to see a red light emanating from the hardwire kit box (put the switch on the box on the lowest voltage, 11.8 ).

If there is no light it might mean that your car battery is out of juice but since you ran test one and checked that the voltage is >12 there is no chance the box is cutting off the voltage to save the battery. Therefore no light means there is something wrong with either the camera or the hardwire kit.

Test 3
Connect your alternative kit (the one you mentioned). If the symptoms are the same, most chances are, it is your camera since we already eliminated the following:

Bad battery,
Bad fuse tapping,
Bad Hardwire kit.

Cheers

Capture Your Action

If there is no red led lit inside the converter box, then it’s has nothing to do with the camera itself. No led means insufficient or no voltage at the red wire (or defective kit).