Motorcycle mount + Power

Gary Brentnall

Hi, new here had a look round can't see the answer to my problem, maybe someone can provide a solution.
I am wanting to use my Git2 as a dash cam on my motorbike. Works absolutely fine but need to supply power unfortunately as you are aware the power socket (mini usb) is directly behind the the closure mechanism making it impossible the poke a hole for the cable. Already have a waterproof power supply on the bike. Really needs to be in the waterproof mount for safety and weather protection, anyone any idea how to solve this problem.

Gary Brentnall

Well after much investigation I think I have solved my problem.
Purchased a GoPro 3 copy from Gearbest for £3.75 cheap enough to throw away if useless.
Actually fits perfect for my needs and has the advantage of positioning the closure clamp on the top away from the USB socket.
Ground out suitable hole to accept the USB/power cable reconfigured Git2 for car mode enabled the G sensor and set loop recording.
Seems to work fine in the garage have to wait until tomorrow to test on the road.

redrat

Nice! I was looking for a solution like this.
Thanks for posting :)

Gary Brentnall

Purchased a GoPro 3 copy from Gearbest for £3.75 cheap enough to throw away if useless.
Actually fits perfect for my needs and has the advantage of positioning the closure clamp on the top away from the USB socket.
Ground out suitable hole to accept the USB/power cable reconfigured Git2 for car mode enabled the G sensor and set loop recording.
Seems to work fine in the garage have to wait until tomorrow to test on the road.
Sample video of Git 2 mounted on my bike.

Susan Rose

Or, you could get some extra batteries and then use an external microphone. Yeah, we would like to hear that motorbike roar, at least it
might drown out that musac! wtw guy? zoom zoom zoom! Peace, and good job!

gitup

Product Manager
Staff member
Website
www.gitup.com
Nice DIY, there is GoPro skeleton case, maybe better.

Pandy

Hi Gary,

How is your system doing? Any problems?

I read a lot of threads in which people are complaining about Gitup 2 dashcam problems. And even gitup user, a staff member, said Gitup 2 isn't good for dashcam.

See here what i mean.

I would like to copy you, if you have no copyrights :) but with those threads read I have my fears.

wombat1955

Hi Gary,

How is your system doing? Any problems?

I read a lot of threads in which people are complaining about Gitup 2 dashcam problems. And even gitup user, a staff member, said Gitup 2 isn't good for dashcam.

See here what i mean.

I would like to copy you, if you have no copyrights :) but with those threads read I have my fears.

I bought my Git2 to use as a dashcam and initially used it with battery, but plugged into usb outlet in the car. Eventually, the battery went flat and I was a little surprised as I expected the Git2 to charge while connected. I then tried it without battery and it would not work. This made me think it was a faulty unit, but gave it one more try with a different usb cable. To my relief, it now works perfectly without a battery. :)

Pandy

Thanks for your replay wombat!

Thinking and thinking and I didn't buy it, yet. I had in mind a solution like yours, but the biggest problem is that in case of subit death of engine, your camera will immediately stop. No data saving. Even if you put the camera to save from 2 to 2 minutes.
Big gamble if a crash is in the day schedule.

wombat1955

Thanks for your replay wombat!

Thinking and thinking and I didn't buy it, yet. I had in mind a solution like yours, but the biggest problem is that in case of subit death of engine, your camera will immediately stop. No data saving. Even if you put the camera to save from 2 to 2 minutes.
Big gamble if a crash is in the day schedule.
Good point. You could leave the battery in and it will then keep recording if a sudden loss of power until the auto off kicks in. The usb cable will keep it charged.

Pandy

Yeah, what you're saying it's partially true.
The forum is full of complains about the situation you said. It appeas that Gitup isn't made for dashcam. Also, gitup member said this.
Staying permanently connected to charge it will kill the battery, probably the camera.
Usualy, a dashcam works with a condensator without battery, or something like this.

wombat1955

Yeah, what you're saying it's partially true.
The forum is full of complains about the situation you said. It appeas that Gitup isn't made for dashcam. Also, gitup member said this.
Staying permanently connected to charge it will kill the battery, probably the camera.
Usualy, a dashcam works with a condensator without battery, or something like this.
I think the Gitup person got it wrong. I have a capacitor dashcam in one car and the Git2 in the other and I prefer the Git2. Having the battery on charge only happens when driving and it turns off within a couple of minutes of turning off the ignition and I haven't read anything that would indicate this method will damage the camera. I can see that in time the battery may wear out a little faster, but for dashcam usage, you only need a few minutes of power once the car is turned off to finish recording. It's worth having a spare battery that you can use when not using it as a dashcam.

wombat1955

I had already read that and I still think they got it wrong as it is advertised to use as a dash cam, which contradicts the Gitup staff members statement. This is in the last paragraph of the advertising page from Viofo, the manufacturer.

http://www.viofo.com/action-camera/27-gitup-git2pro-packing.html

The complaint in the forum was that the camera wasn't working without battery on external charger. Either this has been fixed in the last firmware or the camera is faulty or there is an problem with the power supply.

HCVN

Most problems of the dashcam function come from the car charger or the cable. They happen to all dashcams, not to gitup only.

Pandy

HCVN, do you know a charger or a cable to recommend for buying?

HCVN

HCVN, do you know a charger or a cable to recommend for buying?
For car charger, I think any brand which is genuine and costs around $10-$15 is fine. Mine is an Anker. You should avoid cheap chargers, e.g someone costs only $2. They still work but unstably, that causes weird problems.

Gitup uses outdated mini-usb connector. So, there are not much brands of high quality cables for us to choose. My experience is to choose cables which look big and thick.

wombat1955

For car charger, I think any brand which is genuine and costs around $10-$15 is fine. Mine is an Anker. You should avoid cheap chargers, e.g someone costs only $2. They still work but unstably, that causes weird problems.

Gitup uses outdated mini-usb connector. So, there are not much brands of high quality cables for us to choose. My experience is to choose cables which look big and thick.

I have a drawer full of old mini-usb cables and the third one I tried worked, so it does seem a little particular.