New (claims the reseller) defective camera

ursamajor

The day before yesterday I ordered from a local reseller an a119v3 camera and I was happy to receive it the next day, ie yesterday. I tested it and noticed that it hardly records sound, meaning the sound is very, very weak, almost absent. Here, in the video below, it's a test: I spoke close and loud to the microphone. The sound is too low. No way to capture the ambient sounds: my TV was screaming in the background...
The camera came with air bubbles under the screen protector and it was sticked only on a small portion... I don't want to blame the reseller but I suspect it was a returned defective camera and resold (maybe from them, maybe imported?).
Today I returned it for replacement, but the local reseller told me that it's possible that another camera to have the same defect. Is it possible that they imported a defective batch?

ursamajor

In a fragment of a RAW file you'll hear (if you can, lol) the normal talking voice of my wife (be aware that the TV almost screamed in background). Then look at the analysis of the sound file in Audacity, then the sound amplified with the Normalize filter, but it will amplify also the noise... I understand that this camera can have problems with sound, but this, I think, it's defective.

Maybe Viofo can tell something about it...

Dashcam forum thread, because I was not allowed to link it:

Attachments

Last edited:

Kinst

Obviously it is not normal. My camera mounted in the lower half of the windshield, so it is far from driver and passenger. Normal loudness talk between them is well readable, also the ticking of turn signal is also on the record (but quite low). So if you talk CLOSE to camera it it true defect.