Parking mode: cannot get rid of motion detection?

maomig

Hi. I have a very simple question and I fear there is not a solution. I've just purchased a VIOFO A129 duo (firmware v. 1.5) for my wife's car and installed with the three cable kit. It works fine, but I am a little confused about the parking mode options.
On the menu, I disabled motion detection, set G-sensor to low sensibility, set parking mode to "auto event detection" and connect the three wire kit to the GPS base. I know that I am supposed to connect it directly to the camera but, with this setup, the camera correctly switch to parking mode (the little "P" and walking man appears on screen when I turn off the car). I thought and hope that by disabling motion detection camera will record events only if the G-sensor is activated but no, as a matter of fact camera records a whole bunch of videos, evidently triggered by motion detection.
So, what is the effect of disabling motion detection if it is always on anyway?

Thanks

benkar

Hi. I have a very simple question and I fear there is not a solution. I've just purchased a VIOFO A129 duo (firmware v. 1.5) for my wife's car and installed with the three cable kit. It works fine, but I am a little confused about the parking mode options.
On the menu, I disabled motion detection, set G-sensor to low sensibility, set parking mode to "auto event detection" and connect the three wire kit to the GPS base. I know that I am supposed to connect it directly to the camera but, with this setup, the camera correctly switch to parking mode (the little "P" and walking man appears on screen when I turn off the car). I thought and hope that by disabling motion detection camera will record events only if the G-sensor is activated but no, as a matter of fact camera records a whole bunch of videos, evidently triggered by motion detection.
So, what is the effect of disabling motion detection if it is always on anyway?

Thanks
There are many threads on this subject. But again - connect the cable directly to the camera, not the GPS module. Make sure WIFI is off. Do not use motion detection (it is very sensitive and triggers the camera even with slight movement, light change, etc.). Set the parking mode to low bitrate. And update your FW to v. 1.8.

Capture Your Action

Motion detection and g-sensor settings for regular recording (while driving) are separate from motion detection and g-sensor settings in parking mode. In firmware V1.5, you cannot adjust these settings for parking mode, but the new V1.8 update now allows you to adjust the motion detection and g-sensor settings for parking mode. You need to update if you want those controls.

maomig

I updated this afternoon but situation hasn't changed much. Apart from the fact that I fail to understand the purpose of G-sensor and motion detection while driving, anyway the new controls of those aspects concerning parking mode do not include an "off" option, so you must have them always on despite being able now to decide their sensitiveness, which is of little help, at least to me.

maomig

There are many threads on this subject. But again - connect the cable directly to the camera, not the GPS module. Make sure WIFI is off. Do not use motion detection (it is very sensitive and triggers the camera even with slight movement, light change, etc.). Set the parking mode to low bitrate. And update your FW to v. 1.8.
Is there a purpose or function to connect the cable directly to the camera instead of GPS mount? Mine is working in both ways in parking mode.....
As said, motion detection is off but this do not affect parking mode in which camera keep recording after any motion detected.

Capture Your Action

Is there a purpose or function to connect the cable directly to the camera instead of GPS mount? Mine is working in both ways in parking mode.....
The newest manufactured A129 DUO GPS models can now be plugged into either port. If you tell me your serial # I can tell you for sure if yours supports this. I assume yours is the latest.

maomig

The newest manufactured A129 DUO GPS models can now be plugged into either port. If you tell me your serial # I can tell you for sure if yours supports this. I assume yours is the latest.
I think so, on the box is reported A129 DUO GPS NEW

Capture Your Action

If your serial number falls between these #'s, then it will support the third wire (trigger wire) via the GPS mount - A129DG19143031-A129DG1914404. These serial #'s are for the DUO with GPS only.

chudan

I updated this afternoon but situation hasn't changed much. Apart from the fact that I fail to understand the purpose of G-sensor and motion detection while driving, anyway the new controls of those aspects concerning parking mode do not include an "off" option, so you must have them always on despite being able now to decide their sensitiveness, which is of little help, at least to me.
New member here and new A129 Duo owner.

Having the same issue with the 1.9 FW, no option for OFF under Parking Mode for Motion Detection, just Low, Medium, High.

My big issue is my work parking spot faces a road with constant traffic and even at Low sensitivity it is constantly setting off record. Would desperately love to turn off Parking Mode Motion Detection and just use Parking Mode G-Sensor.

chudan

I got tired of the A129 recording almost non-stop in my work parking lot with over 100 GB (yes GB) of recording in one afternoon. I turned off parking mode and it is still recording. It recorded over 120 GB of our almost dark garage overnight (one nightlight for cat). Is there something I am missing in regards to the Parking Mode? I would have thought turning it off in the menu would shut it off altogether but it is still recording when the car is turned off. I have the the hardwire kit installed, so is my only option to disconnect the constant lead from power?

Capture Your Action

If parking mode is off in the menu and it's still recording when you shut off the car, then you have the 3-wire kit wired wrong.

Are you plugged into the mount or camera?

chudan

I've plugged into both the camera side and the GPS base with same results. My sn# falls inside the A129DG19143031-A129DG1914404 range mentioned above, so I tried both ways. The phone does go into parking mode (switches from car icon to walking person icon on cam screen) a few minutes after turning off ignition and removing key and camera goes into blinking stand by mode, regardless of which USB port (GPS or cam) power is plugged into.

I think the issue I had the other night with it recording all night in garage is that when I turned off 'parking mode' in menu, cam stayed in 'driving mode' and never stopped recording, it just stayed in record mode using power from 'constant' power fuse I connected to. The hardwire kit is installed on fuses recommended from Subaru Forester owner forum for installing said three wire hardwire kits that need an ACC and constant power source. Last night I switched back to parking mode with high G-sensor and low motion detection and only had 4 pairs (front/rear) of recordings made, 2 pairs caused by me entering/leaving garage and 2 pairs by our cat getting in cam FOV. So it appears the issue with the constant recording is an issue with the parking mode function turned off and not turning off cam altogether.

My experiences have come from about a week and a half of playing with the various parking modes and settings trying to find a way to keep the traffic passing my work parking space from non stop all day setting off the advanced parking mode motion detection and constantly recording. The only way that would be possible is to have the means to turn off advanced parking mode motion detection. In other posts, it appears this was available at some point as it was recommended to put the cam in High Sensitivity for Parking Mode G-sensor and OFF for Parking Mode Motion Detection but is not now available with the current firmware (1.90 on my A129D). Just for my personal clarification, is that the current situation and was the ability to turn off Motion Detection in Parking Mode a capability in past firmware versions? If so, I wonder if I could roll back to a firmware version that still had that functionality.

As it stands, I will keep the advanced parking mode activated and just turn off cam in my work parking lot until I can find a solution to not being able to turn off motion detection in advanced parking mode. If Viofo does not come out with something like that in a future firmware, I will bounce such a request to one of of the groups doing firmware mods to see if they can do such. Otherwise my only other option is to just dump parking mode altogether by disconnecting the hardwire kit from the 'constant' power fuse.

ps. Current setup is is A129 Duo with GPS mount (SN# is in range for functionality with power plugged into GPS mentioned above) and Viofo hardwire kit set to 12.4 volts cutoff plugged into GPS mount.
Advance Parking Mode set to Auto Event Detection with Parking G-Sensor set to High and Parking Motion Detection set to Low.
Driving Motion Detection is set to Off, and Driving G-Sensor is set to Low.

Last edited:

Capture Your Action

If your running v1.9 (not a beta version), the camera should enter parking mode within a few seconds of the car turning off. Have you tested your ACC fuse? Is there zero volts once car is off? If your camera takes a few minutes to enter parking mode, it’s either wired wrong or there is a delay from the car as to when it powers down the ACC fuse.

chudan

So I tried switching to different to ACC fuses and also checking them with my multi-meter. They all went to zero volts within a second or two of turning off ignition and removing key. I then decided to switch the power cord from the GPS base to the cam USB port and that fixed the driving/parking switch-over issue immediately. So best I can tell is even though my unit falls inside the A129DG19143031-A129DG1914404 serial number range, the GPS mount is, for whatever reason, causing about a 3 minute delay in the switch over from driving to parking mode. When plugged directly into cam USB port the switch-over takes about 2 seconds.

Now I seem to remember it having a quick switch-over with the GPS mount earlier, but I could just be mis-remembering. I did notice that the whole time I have been doing this recent testing I have been in my garage with no GPS signal being detected by cam GPS mount. I wonder if the cam stays in driving mode for a certain number of minutes (3-5?) trying to get a GPS fix after vehicle shutoff and then switches over to full parking mode if it can't.

So I am going to play around with that a bit to see if the switch-over delay when connected to GPS mount is due to not having a GPS fix. I may do some driving around today with the power plugged in to the GPS mount and when I know I have a GPS fix turn the car off and see if it goes into parking mode ASAP or is still delayed.

While I am glad I can get almost instant driving-parking switch-over with the power into cam USB, I still have the issue with the overly active parking mode motion detector working constantly. Still would like to be able to just turn off parking mode motion detection off altogether instead of only having low sensitivity setting for it.

Capture Your Action

GPS does not need to have signal from a satellite to be able to allow transitioning into parking mode.

When you use parking mode without the 3-wire kit, it takes 3 minutes of no motion or g-sensor activity before the camera will transition into parking mode (it could be 5 minutes, I don't recall). Your camera obviously wasn't seeing the ACC trigger wire, which is why it was taking 3 minutes (or 5 minutes) to enter parking mode.

chudan

Good to know.

At this point I will just stick to the cam GPS plug to make sure that the parking mode activates correctly.

I will now see if my constant parking lot filming issue is solved as well when I work on Monday.

Alshamal

I got tired of the A129 recording almost non-stop in my work parking lot with over 100 GB (yes GB) of recording in one afternoon. I turned off parking mode and it is still recording. It recorded over 120 GB of our almost dark garage overnight (one nightlight for cat). Is there something I am missing in regards to the Parking Mode? I would have thought turning it off in the menu would shut it off altogether but it is still recording when the car is turned off. I have the the hardwire kit installed, so is my only option to disconnect the constant lead from power?
I have the same issue with the A129 Duo constantly recording in parking mode been told for months that Viofo were working on it ! Raised the issue with them a couple of days ago and they replied,make sure you enable Parking Mode-Auto Event Detection, not motion detection or Parking motion detection! But I can't turn this off!
Frustrating because the camera works fine going into Parking Mode but just no control on what it's recording!

Charlie

Any news regarding this issue? Is it still not possible to use parking mode with ONLY G-sensor detection and turn off motion detection completely? I have my car parked several days in a row from time to time, and would like to get a good camera with parking mode, but this is a deal breaker for me since it would drain the battey in less than a day.