Poor front camera quality at night

Tboy

During the day the front and back camera have excellent quality but during the night the front camera is very bad but the rear camera is great. Also at night the front camera flickers from light to dark while the rear stays consistant.

E G

What is the firmware installed in your unit? The flickering at night is a known issue present on the stock firmware. It happens while WDR on and it is best to turn it off if you wish to continue using that firmware until another version is released.
As for the general night picture quality goes... most 4K cameras struggle in low light situations.

Tboy

What is the firmware installed in your unit? The flickering at night is a known issue present on the stock firmware. It happens while WDR on and it is best to turn it off if you wish to continue using that firmware until another version is released.
As for the general night picture quality goes... most 4K cameras struggle in low light situations.
Firmware is 1.3, Is this the newest update? The update on your website, says 1.1.
Also, why would there big such a big differences in the front and back camera. The back camera was execellent.

E G

There are several versions of newer firmware (beta versions) floating around provided by Viofo to beta testers but they are still some bugs that need to get fixed and a few more bugs introduced in the process. If you are not having any other issues other than what you have described, I suggest you stay on that one until a newer stable version is officially launched on the website.
I wish @viofo could give us a good explanation about the video difference on the rear camera at night compared with the front unit. All I know there are different type of sensors and the rear one is better capable of capturing better detail at lower light conditions than the front unit but don't know the technical details.

Esw2005

My only complaint is the lack of liscence plate reading at night Texas plates reflect the headlights

E G

My only complaint is the lack of liscence plate reading at night Texas plates reflect the headlights
That is extremely hard for almost all cameras, particularly when there is motion where critical detail gets smeared.