Possible problem with ambient noise level sensitivity of external audio

Has anyone experienced similar static audio using the external microphone?

• Total voters

ConwayBob

This clip is typical of the footage shot on my last bike ride, shot using the optional lavaliere clip-on microphone. It demonstrates what I think is a susceptibility of the Camera's audio processor to inject a spurious signal until ambient noise increases to a point when the processor gates open the audio circuit.
The majority of the footage, some 72 minutes worth, the recorded video is totally silent of audio, except when increasing wind noise or tread noise on pavement causes the cameras audio processor to go to work.
The static noise, almost a substitute in place of the real sounds being picked up by the lavaliere, is being recorded instead of actual mic audio on the mic circuit. When the ambient noise is constantly above some level, the audio is fine, otherwise it's unusable. Not a very good condition at all.

Git-Up, give a listen, I think you got a bug in your latest firmware.

The original footage was shot @ 1080P 60, with WDR, Medium audio, & ISO, shutter speed, the rest set to auto everything else was at default.
The external mic was plugged in before the camera was powered up. It is the Optional Git-Up Lav. The battery was fresh & fully charged.
BTW, I have the camera in a metal external skeleton frame with a 52mm UV filter lens. The day was bright & sunny. There's some fringing particularly with the blue sky, with some color drop out evident when exposure transitions from bright to dark & back. But certainly nothing to complain to loudly about. The picture quality is overall very stunning. A beautiful ride's video record only marred due to audio glitches.

Paris

I notice this kind of problem too but while I was riding a motorbike with internal microphone and with the case. Sometime, during few second there is no sound, I'm sure there is enought sound because my motorbike's engine is always on :)

But I need to do more tests to confirm any problem.

I'm using firmware : git2_V1.4_0324 that is not the last one ; And you, wich one do you use ?

Last edited by a moderator: